Any negative effects of not installing the plastic water tube into the toilet tank overflow tube?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle hands and mind have lead me to ask a question I've always wondered about: Regarding that thin plastic tube that puts water into the tank overflow tube after every flush, what are the negative effects of just dumping that water into the tank to aid in filling the tank quicker?

Last edited:
Negative effects?
Tube adds water to bowl (has to go somewhere) and assures there's high enough water level in bowl to splash your bum.
;) Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

That's what keeps your toilet from letting sewer gas in. A toilet would and does siphon the trap. The tube fills the bowl after the toilets siphon has been broken.

That's what keeps your toilet from letting sewer gas in. A toilet would and does siphon the trap. The tube fills the bowl after the toilets siphon has been broken.
I see the picture. I do notice that after very heavy wind storms the level of water in all three bowls in my townhouse are down quite a bit. Does that suggest something amiss with the vents or is this unavoidable?

It also helps rinse the sides of the bowl.
Not the main function but worth mentioning.
It helps rinse poop residue.

Latest posts

Back