Any cheaper or DIY fix of sewage line little roots that just got drilled thru, short of a Hydro-Jet?

Discussion in 'Drain and Sewer Cleaning' started by Jeff Davis, Jan 2, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jan 9, 2019 #21

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

conversation between home owner and plumber
    Plumber
    sir, you have roots in the sewer I can see them on my monitor
    Would you care to see?
    See the roots? The connection between the PVC and Clay pipe is leaking, The roots have come in via the leak
    The Clean out here is not large enough for my large cable and cutter head, I am limited in what I can do for you.
    You might want to think about letting us cut a square in the concrete and install a CO that will allow the cleaning of your sewer. Or the most expensive option that would fix the problem all together. We can cut a 3' wide trench with a concrete saw and replace the broken sewer to the city lateral. Install an expansion felt material between the old concrete and the new. It will look just like the lines in your driveway you have now.

Homeowner
    NO, I simply do not want the concrete cut,

Plumber

I understand sir, Please sign this Bill
    Call us if you change your mind. Or need us to return to cut more roots
    It was a pleasure meeting you sir, Have a good day
    truck door closes and truck is seen driving off into the distance

SHEPLMBR likes this.
  2. Jan 12, 2019 at 2:58 PM #22

Rossando

Rossando

Rossando

Digging a hole 3ft by the property to the pipe and install a clean out 4” to maintain sewer or just use that one you showed us if it connects to your sewer without many turns or bends your set. Good luck. What about exposed pipes in the garage?

3. Jan 16, 2019 at 3:06 AM #23

Tnkrst

Tnkrst

Tnkrst

I agree with what the plumber wanted to do. Yes it’s a lot of money. From my end I deal with this all the time. Unfortunately you do have roots. You could do preventative maintenance for a while. However there is a separation from pvc to clay. That separation will only get worst. That’s until you can’t cable it no more. Then you will dig it up anyway. Best thing to do, put in a 2 way cleanout. With putting that in, fix the connection as well. You can get a bigger blade in there or even hydro jet if ever needed. I know everything I just said involves money. That’s the big problem. Get a company that also does the concrete. Depending on how big the company is, it depends on the price. We do it for $1900 and that’s everything. Concrete, permits, 2 way cleanout including 10 ft of pipe. Unfortunately the same job can also be quoted at $10,000 for the same work from bigger companies. Good luck sir