Antibacterial Septic Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenison

Reaction score
I was told last week that people using anti bacterial products to wash clothing dishes and as a household cleaner can expect to have septic problems after a few years. Does anyone have any information on this?

I don't know anything about this subject but it seems plausible.

Call the Mythbusters!

The hand washing soap and a few of the other products that are antibacterial, are in such small amounts, that it will not hurt the system.

If it is an established system, (6 months to a year old) It takes a lot to stop the process from doing it job. Washing hands and a few loads of laundry is not going to do any amount of harm to the septic.

If you poured a gallon of bleach down the drain, it would slow the septic process,(anaerobic) but not stop it.

Travis

I would want to see that on Mythbusters. They should have a plumbing special.

Considering the fact that most septic tanks are 800 gallons or larger, it would take a lot of any chemical to kill all the bacteria. Common sense rules here.

I read a article once. Don't remember where. I think it was a university that keep dumping bleach into a septic tank until all bacteria action was stopped. They checked it the 24 hours later and it was alive again.
Every time I've heard of dead bacteria in a tank it was traced back to medication. Someone in the house was taking a antibiotic. I think thats amazing that a small dose of a patients medication can do that when pounding it with bleach can't.

Every time I've heard of dead bacteria in a tank it was traced back to medication. Someone in the house was taking a antibiotic. I think thats amazing that a small dose of a patients medication can do that when pounding it with bleach can't.

There are some types of heart meds. that will also kill the bacteria in a septic.

I read a article once. Don't remember where. I think it was a university that keep dumping bleach into a septic tank until all bacteria action was stopped. They checked it the 24 hours later and it was alive again.

Hi
I just found this thread and I would like to see that university study. Can you find the details and post here?

I see this study at the University of Minnesota stated that ...
Antibacterial Products in Septic Systems | Onsite Sewage Treatment Program | Water Resources Center | University of Minnesota
Several professionals have reported problems with low or no bacterial activity in systems and upon the removal of antibacterial products from the home, beneficial bacterial activity returns and desired treatment functions resume.
What are these antibacterial products we are talking about? They include: ‘antibacterial’ hand soaps, tub, tile and shower cleaners, drain cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, laundry bleach products, and others. Also included are ‘antibiotics’ that may be prescribed for medical treatment. These are products that are found in nearly all homes. They often carry a “safe for septic systems” statement printed on the label. The question may be “How Safe?”

The University of Minnesota Extension Service Septic System Owner’s Guide suggests:

To improve septic system performance:

•Do not use ‘every flush’ toilet bowl cleaners
•Reduce use of drain cleaners by minimizing the amount of hair, grease, and food particles that goes down the drain
•Reduce use of cleaners by doing more scrubbing with less cleanser
•Use the minimum amount of soap, detergent and bleach necessary to do the job. Frequent use of detergents with bleach additives is excessive amounts of bleach.
•Use minimal amounts of mild cleaners, as needed only
•Route chlorine-treated water from swimming pools and hot-tubs outside of the septic system
•Dispose of all solvents, paints, antifreeze, and chemicals through local recycling and hazardous waste channels
•Do not flush unwanted prescription or over the counter medications down the toilet

Could everyone please post links to any research that has been done in regard to antibacterial products in septic systems.

Thanks

A well-designed septic tank and leach field will be completely maintenance free if you are careful about what goes into it. We limit the amount of cleaning products that go into the system. The happier the enzymes down there are, the better. I use white vinegar for all my cleaning, and I use as little dish detergent as I can. We had them pump the septic tank contingent to our purchase 20 years ago. We haven't had a single problem since then.

Baltimore Sewer Service

A well-designed septic tank and leach field will be completely maintenance free if you are careful about what goes into it. We limit the amount of cleaning products that go into the system. The happier the enzymes down there are, the better. I use white vinegar for all my cleaning, and I use as little dish detergent as I can. We had them pump the septic tank contingent to our purchase 20 years ago. We haven't had a single problem since then.

It's easy enough to prove your theory. Check the sludge level with a sludge measurement tool. Tank sludge level is usually never higher than 1/3 of tank depth. Because at 1/3 level the sludge is carried out of the tank by flow currents. Or if you installed a effluent filter on the tank discharge pipe and it plugs up. Ooops....

Latest posts

Back