Anti-siphon valve needed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeotr

Reaction score
Hello...bear with me..this may be long, but I want to try to describe everything. I have an anti-siphon valve in my water heater shed that runs to a remote hose bib in the backyard. It has started leaking. I bought some replacement parts and then started wondering if it should be there at all. It comes off the cold water line running from the house, the shut off valve for this is about 5 feet above the siphon valve which is about 1 foot off the ground. The outlet then runs underground thru flexible plastic line to a shed with a hose bib. I have since remodeled this shed and ran water lines to a sink and installed a hot water heater on the second floor (shed is built like a little barn). The problem I'm having is that the instructions for the backflow valve clearly state that there should be no shutoffs down stream and that it is not rated for continuous pressure. So it looks like it shouldnt be there at all, but I would agree that, because of the plastic line running underground, it needs some sort of protection from possible contamination due to leaking/cracking etc. So do I need a backflow valve or can I just plug it off? Is the line running to the shed just considered an extension of the house plumbing even though its not solid line? One other issue is...instructions state the backflow valve be 6 inches above highest downstream piping, which obviously cant work in my situation since the water heater in the shed is on the second floor. Please help, thanks

Latest posts

Back