Another vent thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No water goes through that vent line when the sink is used. It’s not washed.

disagree
the ''base of the vent'' must be washed by the fixture it serves

that literally means, the vent tie in to the waste must be below the fixture

simple wet vent 1 line drawing

25692-709b9047fb74e6dff284903a36a4303b.png

Maybe I'm not understanding the terminology.

Isn't it washed where the vent meets the sewer line?

View attachment 27920
What Frito should’ve said is “ the drain must connect upstream of the vent connection on a loop vent pipes system.

Having the drain from the sink connect to the horizontal upstream of the vent doesn’t make the vent “ washed “. It’s simply just down stream of the drain connection.

For the vent to be washed it would have to be a wet vent.

disagree
the ''base of the vent'' must be washed by the fixture it serves

that literally means, the vent tie in to the waste must be below the fixture

simple wet vent 1 line drawing

View attachment 27922
Correct, diagram number one is washed.....see the lavatory above it on the vent ? It’s also a wet vent now.

The second diagram the vent connects DOWNSTREAM of the toilet and it’s NOT washed. The same as your loop vent.....

Thank you .

What Frito should’ve said is “ the drain must connect upstream of the vent connection on a loop vent pipes system.

Having the drain from the sink connect to the horizontal upstream of the vent doesn’t make the vent “ washed “. It’s simply just down stream of the drain connection.

For the vent to be washed it would have to be a wet vent.
disagree, if the base vent is rolled, then the base IS being washed
the intent of the code is for every vent connection to the sewer system or building drain is to be washed by the fixture to which it serves

Edited.
what they want is for the waste pipe to wash away poo poo so it does not migrate back up into the vent
if that is accomplished. it is being washed

a dry vent, washes its own base of the vent

disagree, if the base vent is rolled, then the base IS being washed
the intent of the code is for every vent connection to the sewer system or building drain is to be washed by the fixture to which it serves
If it’s rolled up or laid flat without a fixture attached above it......it’s not washed.

washed means water runs through it.....not below it.

The diagram you posted above clearly agrees with me. Read the explanation text to the right of the isometric drawing.

Water running at the bottom of a 3” pipe isn’t going to wash a vent connection above the water.

For a vent to be considered washed it must have water ran through it.,

You’re describing an upstream connection or a downstream connection.

Youre saying that the drain from the sink must connect to the horizontal before the vent does. That means it connects UPSTREAM it doesn’t make it “ washed “

Ok guys have a great night. I had a sludges up building drain to the septic tank. Old concrete pipe. I had to pop a hole in it with a hammer to get my equipment into the pipe. Old lady doesn’t have any money......

I’ll post pics tomorrow. I’ll probably saddle on a couple cleanouts with cement. They tell me they’re replacing it all in the spring....with no Money ???🤷‍♂️👌

Can't seem to find anything about 'washed' vent lines. If I understand what that's referring to is that horizontal runs must be 'washed' - have water run through them. Is this to make sure there's no debris in there?

If that's the case, there are several points in the system of an 'island vent' that are horizontal that are not washed, correct?

1614033386176.png

Can't seem to find anything about 'washed' vent lines. If I understand what that's referring to is that horizontal runs must be 'washed' - have water run through them. Is this to make sure there's no debris in there?

If that's the case, there are several points in the system of an 'island vent' that are horizontal that are not washed, correct?

View attachment 27924
Yes, that’s why there’s a cleanout in the pipe labeled “ nearest wall “ It’s not washed and if all that backed up it could go into the horizontal snd sludge stay there.

Then you’d have no way to clean it.....if it was revented. That’s why a cleanout is required.

There should be another one on the vent line under the sink and the drain line. That’s how I’d do it, if I chose to do what you’re doing. Which I wouldn’t.,

I also wouldn’t use 1.5” for a “ foot vent “as labeled in the pic. Not below the flood level of the fixture. But that’s just me.....I’d use 2”.

I would also install my cleanout above my sink connection under the sink.

This way if I’m ever running a cable into that drain and I hit the clog, I can run water through the drain without it coming out on me.
This washes the cable off and washes the drain out after I’ve broken the clogup.

Make sense ? The guy who made that diagram has never cleaned a sink drain in that scenario......

If you have a second cleanout on the vent down low on the pipe you can screw a drain hose into it and run it out the door into the yard......then use your jetter to clean the drain.

This allows the overflow from the jetter to be directed outside until you punch through the clog then you can slowly pull the jetter back toward you cleaning the pipe walls.
👍👍👍

Last edited:
You wouldn't do what I'm doing?

ok, how would you do it?
Do you have access to 3 or 4” pipe close by ? What’s upstream of the sink? What’s downstream ? House trap ? City sewer ? Septic ?

The main stack (ancient CI pipe) is across the kitchen about 12' away. Other than that, the only vent is the 2" line I'm trying to use. The only other sewer line is the existing line (1 1/2") about 3 feet from where the sink is going. My options are severely limited. I mean, I may have more money than the old lady whose concrete sewer you smashed, but not much more than that. Definitely not enough to reroute my main soil stack.

I could possibly get 3" line in there but that 1 1/2" sewer line would need to be replaced.

also, I'm guessing the image I snagged off the web is some antient image taken from a 50 year old book. The intention was to only point out the horizontal portion.

Putting cleanouts in won't be a problem.

The main stack (ancient CI pipe) is across the kitchen about 12' away. Other than that, the only vent is the 2" line I'm trying to use. The only other sewer line is the existing line (1 1/2") about 3 feet from where the sink is going. My options are severely limited. I mean, I may have more money than the old lady whose concrete sewer you smashed, but not much more than that. Definitely not enough to reroute my main soil stack.

I could possibly get 3" line in there but that 1 1/2" sewer line would need to be replaced.
I’d do it the way you’re doing it 🤣🤣🤣

Hey brother......everything is situational. Once I heard the details.......

I might would omit the nearest wall vent but not if it was already there......

@frodo, when you're sober enough-- is there a min/max length on the vent branch on a loop vent? I'm guessing "yes" but I could be wrong.

No limit on foot vents, nearest wall is the code. As long as the nearest wall isn’t 2 miles away.

Well, it is done. And I have to say it looks great. Will post pics later.

basically the last layout I posted. I was not able to make the 45 Frodo mentioned but it should still work well.
Thanks tons for all the great input! Well worth the price. 😉

Latest posts

Back