Another vent thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it. Seems weird that it would work. I suppose there is still enough room for air to get into the system.

Take a look at this picture. It's similar to my situation. Notice the wye in the box and that it's laying flat so it can run parallel back to the vent. Is this acceptable? If so, I could use this arrangement.

1614006898655.png

Got it. Seems weird that it would work. I suppose there is still enough room for air to get into the system.
Air stays in the system. Unless it’s displaced by water.
You can’t displace enough air in a 3” pipe with a 1.5” ksink drain to cause an issue.

The issue is that other draining fixture could possible affect it.. but usually not in a residence. High flow volume fixtures or a really busy house. Like a lot of water being discharged at one time........

air in pipe good......pipe full of water bad. When dealing with a combo waste and vent.

Good luck to you,try not to over complicate it.

that will work
Earlier you said the horizontal portion of the loop vent under the floor must be washed by the fixture to meet code.,

That picture doesn’t depict that.....

I’m certainly not disagreeing that it’ll work. It will.

Last edited:
One thing.....I dot like to see those take off for the vent laid flat. I’d roll those up on a 45 if I had the room.. washed it not......
Install some cleanouts....

Y’all have fun, this rat needs some cheese, time for work.

Though not a direct solution to the problem, if you haven't ordered your counter top yet and have 1.5 inches of room in the kitchen... I moved my lower cabinets away from the wall 1.5 inches, ran the vent in the space and got a soapstone countertop that was 28" deep rather than 25-26". Looks and feels like an upgrade instead of a compromise.

Though not a direct solution to the problem, if you haven't ordered your counter top yet and have 1.5 inches of room in the kitchen... I moved my lower cabinets away from the wall 1.5 inches, ran the vent in the space and got a soapstone countertop that was 28" deep rather than 25-26". Looks and feels like an upgrade instead of a compromise.

Thought about this, but it's an L-shaped kitchen and all the cabinets are ordered. No chance to move them away from the wall.

Earlier you said the horizontal portion of the loop vent under the floor must be washed by the fixture to meet code.,

That picture doesn’t depict that.....

I’m certainly not disagreeing that it’ll work. It will.

It does wash the vent where the wye is, doesn't it?

Instead of a three inch plug, why wouldn’t you add a riser and an AAV?

Amateur me, so just wondering.

AAV - something to fail and need replacing in the future.

Plus, I've heard they can 'leak'. Personally, the thought of poop smells in a kitchen makes me gag. People say they've never smelled it. I'm afraid that's all I'd be thinking about.

Maybe I'm not understanding the terminology.

Isn't it washed where the vent meets the sewer line?

1614028062499.png

Latest posts

Back