Another Septic Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillT

Reaction score
After 15 years since the last time, we decided to have our Septic Tank pumped again. The last time they found roots inside. I've been using Roebic Foaming Root Killer for the last 15 years. Twice a year for the first few years, then once a year following. I also use Septic Additive Packets about once a month.

Now my question. It's been going fine, but when they opened the lid this time, it was full. No reports of roots, but they commented that it should not have been full and I probably have possibly a drainage problem. But my Drainage Field looks fine and I have rows of nice fast growing green grass on it. Does a full tank necessarily mean a problem? Or could it just have been full because it's been 15 years since it was pumped?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

It may have been full of sludge. That’s not good. It can be pushed into the field lines.

You want complete breakdown of the solids. Doesn’t sound like that’s happening.

Reasons:
Too much paper being used
Tank too small
Lack of bacteria
Too much water being used

The list above overlaps each other...so one problem is contributing
To other problems.

You may be killing your tank with chemicals.

All just a guess on my part.

All of what 2Wax said plus any other non-degrading or slowly degrading materials that are flushed down the drains, mainly what goes down the garbage disposal or the toilet. The option is to clean out the tank more often or not dispose of those materials down the drain.

Your septic system is a private biological treatment facility. It is your job to feed the bacteria what keeps those populations healthy and avoid those things that inhibit bacterial activity. The populations and species that develop and grow in the tank can't simply be replaced or restored by adding a packet of "stuff".

I recommend one of these to be installed at your outlet.

This will insure that sludge can’t be pushed into your field lines.

9C253F5C-4AC3-434D-934E-7C8F49D0D725.jpegDBC345BE-77DC-4EF3-BBEF-609BEFFF1A58.jpeg

Appreciate the replies.

For the record, nothing more than necessary gets flushed and we strictly only used septic friendly paper. Tank is 1000 Gallons. I apply bacteria packets about once a month. Also Root Killer once a year. There is only two of us here now and I don't believe it is too much water, but that could be possible. No out of the ordinary chemicals that I'm aware of. No garbage disposal.

Twowaxhack,

Interesting device. If my problem is not corrected, I will check into that.

In the meantime, I talked to a technician (a biologist actually) at a septic additive supplier and I am going to follow their advice on a modified application schedule in comparison to my old one. I will be carefully watching the progress of it.

I also cut many trees too close to the Drainage Field about 15 years ago, but still have a couple more that should go.

My next step is to add an extension on my septic tank. Two different times now I had to dig down about 3 Ft !! I'm going to put a 2 Ft Extension on it. I may start a new thread on it.

Thanks again.

I was always told to NOT add ANY additives to these septic systems. It's just a waste of money and does not help.

Back