Anode rod problem due to softener? And water not as hot lately

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

997GTS

Reaction score
We have a water softener and I felt like our water heater tanks don’t last as long and I hear a differing opinion’s. We have two 50 gallon tanks in series with each other and one was manufactured in 2018 and the other one in 2019. In the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed the water isn’t as hot as it used to be and we now have the thermostat set 1/3 of the way between hot and very hot now (just past hot). Before this we had it set exactly on hot.
i’ve heard the anode rod goes bad quickly although I know this isn’t used to heat the water. But I’d like some good opinions here as to whether or not it’s likely the water softener is shortening the life of our water heaters. There are days when we don’t have soft water and the regular water seems harder than usual so I’m wondering if I’m getting a lot of buildup in the tanks prematurely. I’d appreciate any advice. Thank you

Sounds like scaling is your issue. The water heater cannot heat water through the scale. You have an issue with hard water getting into your water heater. I'm not the one to ask about water softeners, but it sounds like yours isn't doing the job.

Turning your water heater up is making this worse also.

Changing the anode will only do so much to keep scale from building.

You might start with getting your water tested. Then research better or more relevant softeners. Going through two water heaters every two years is going to get very expensive.

With water heaters in series the first heater does most of the work, it will usually not last as long as the second in line all things being equal.

Pipe in parallel for equal wear.

I also think having the heaters in series might not be the best way for water such as yours. Your really slowing the water that passes between them and not letting it scrub the tanks.

Pipe them in parallel carefully with globe valves at the inlets so they can be balanced. You might look into finding some curved diptubes to help scrub.

The softener works but there are fast where it didn’t run it’s cycle and we get some hard water.

Good tip on running parallel

Is there a recirc line? are you using potassium or sodium chloride? I burn through anode rods once a year with my combo of potassium and a gravity recirculation loop. First step after burning through two heaters in ten years was a full port ball valve to flush to replace that crappy plastic hose valve. Now the flush pressure is adequate to shoot a fair amount of sediment and anode droppings out. Second step was yearly anode rod checks.

Is there a recirc line? are you using potassium or sodium chloride? I burn through anode rods once a year with my combo of potassium and a gravity recirculation loop. First step after burning through two heaters in ten years was a full port ball valve to flush to replace that crappy plastic hose valve. Now the flush pressure is adequate to shoot a fair amount of sediment and anode droppings out. Second step was yearly anode rod checks.

No black specks or flakes in your water ?

In my case white/clear/greenish crystals not so much black sometimes combined with an almost a gel-like consistency . I had to put pre filter on the dishwasher.

In my case white/clear/greenish crystals not so much black sometimes combined with an almost a gel-like consistency . I had to put pre filter on the dishwasher.
Yep, that’s the broken down anode.

Back