Angle of inlet pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJKD

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently digging up my inlet pipe to locate what I think is a leak or crack.

I noticed that the inlet pipe appears to be angled 70 degree to the house and then at half way it is perpendicular to the house when it enters the tank. Is this type of kink in the inlet pipe normal? Thank you for all your expertise.

R

There's a cast iron pipe coming right out of my house. Then about 4 feet from the tank it switches to a PVC pipe, which enters the tank. There is a big gap between the cast iron pipe and PVC where it joins. I just discovered that today. That's part of the problem. However, I feel there are other issues in the design of my septic. The cast iron pipe leaves my house at a 70 degree angle. It makes no sense. It should leave the house perpendicular to the house. At least that's how I've seen it designed.

There's a cast iron pipe coming right out of my house. Then about 4 feet from the tank it switches to a PVC pipe, which enters the tank. There is a big gap between the cast iron pipe and PVC where it joins. I just discovered that today. That's part of the problem. However, I feel there are other issues in the design of my septic. The cast iron pipe leaves my house at a 70 degree angle. It makes no sense. It should leave the house perpendicular to the house. At least that's how I've seen it designed.
Have you considered having a septic co taking a look

This is the new PVC pipe I've put in. It is the same angle at which the original cast iron was.

You'll see the PVC is attached to the cast iron about 10 inches from the home.

I'm no longer concerned about the angle this is at from the home. I was trying to determine the cause of the initial problem.

I believe the initial pipe may have frozen which caused the PVC and cast iron to separate. I believe the ground is not high enough (less than 4 feet which is the freezing depth in Ottawa). Now I'm trying to determine the best way to insulate the pipe.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your expertise.

Attachments

• IMG_3804.JPG
    IMG_3804.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
Back