An anal OCD person contemplates house re-pipe decisions around Pex.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah some was I was kneeling to get the soldering done, I should have rigged up saw horses and then some supports. I was struggling with the torch at times I was trying to keep the bottom of the fitting heated with occasionally moving up the sides and lightly hit top at times.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do not direct your flame into the joint. Heat the pipe evenly then move the flame to the hub to help draw the solder in.

If you get it too hot the solder can run out of the hub. Not too hot or you’ll burn your flux off.

Yeah I was heating the fitting concentrating on bottom with occasional moving around to top. I was in an awkward position kneeling and kept getting the flame to directed. My respect to those that solde all the time, very much a skill.

Been a while, figured I would give an update. Started pulling pipe today. Started with the toughest area, that gap between 2 joists that feed the master shower and guest toilet. I decided because of the small gaps in successive joists to do a brass elbow with a short nipple e and screwed on the pex to NPT fittings then a 11 inch nipple to get through the 2 tight gaps. I used PTFE pipe dope (link below) in the threads then meds the fittings as tight as possible. Fingers crossed for no leaks, won’t know for a few weeks as that is when I will be cutting over to these lines.

1648338474250.jpeg

1648338523224.jpeg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hercules-Real-Tuff-8-oz-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-156202/100112544

Just gonna throw in here-we've been using Uponor PEX-A for over 7 years now with absolutely no problems, no taste issues, no rodent issues, and certainly no leaks.
Until I hear from my own customers that there is a problem, I'm sticking with the Uponor.

But I do wonder how many plumbers said that about Qwest 40 years ago, lol?!

Just gonna throw in here-we've been using Uponor PEX-A for over 7 years now with absolutely no problems, no taste issues, no rodent issues, and certainly no leaks.
Until I hear from my own customers that there is a problem, I'm sticking with the Uponor.

But I do wonder how many plumbers said that about Qwest 40 years ago, lol?!

Breplumb on this forum posted on some defective uponor tube. It’s all subject to rodent atttack but that’s a rodent problem IMO rather than a piping problem, it’s a weakness tho.

I’ve had good luck with crimping Rehau, I’ve used it a long time. I’m sure one day they’ll have tube failures.

I believe the Uponor issue is with the red/blue pipes which they have discontinued. I feel lucky to have missed that. I was very interested in Rehau, but the return policy was only 21 days at the the big supply shop that carried it. I also debated traditional elbows vs. bend supports. To minimize fittings I have used bend supports where I can.

I believe the Uponor issue is with the red/blue pipes which they have discontinued. I feel lucky to have missed that. I was very interested in Rehau, but the return policy was only 21 days at the the big supply shop that carried it. I also debated traditional elbows vs. bend supports. To minimize fittings I have used bend supports where I can.
If you have bad pex the first place you’ll find trouble is where a bend in the tube is, at least that’s the most common point of failure. Nothings absolute. Even if it’s supported or within the bend tolerance.

That’s where I’ve found the first trouble, it eventually starts getting leaks in straight pieces of it left in service long enough.

Chlorine levels, uncontrolled thermal expansion and UV damage all can also be contributing causes of failure. You don’t know how the pipe was treated before you bought it unless you buy it with a sealed bag.

Be sure not to over tighten those brass fittings you’re using, it can crack later.

Last edited:
Fortunately I bought bag bundle so all my pipe was and still is in factory dark poly bag. I over bought to get a factory bag and will return what I don’t use still in the dark bag.

Woohoo, I have water on the new Pex. As I feared one of the brass nipples leaked, I must not have tightened it enough. Cut the pex, removed fitting and instead of just dope I did 2 -3 wraps of blue monster tape with Real Tuff dope slathered on top. Put a coupler in and a new section of pex and all good. All my solder joints look good. Not to watch it for a few days to make sure all is good. I will post pictures next week as I am exhausted, 9 hours yesterday and at least that today.

Been a while sine I posted an update. This part of the project is over and completed. Now to have the walls and ceilings closed up. I still have a rear bob to do, but it piped, valved and plugged for now. Also I left a little copper at the kitchen sink and will do that over the summer. Still debating whether to do copper under the sink or pex. All pressure side copper (hot water heater, master shower vale and feeds as well as tub/shower valve and feed) have been replaced with new L copper and new valves. I figure if junk copper lasted 37 years L should last until I am dead. Some of the reasoning for keeping and redoing copper for showers/tub was to get the same exact valve I had before. I had contemplated (even ordered) new Delta valves and diverters, but Delta and the new universal Moen stuff would have required too much rework as the diverters exit on the wrong side compared to my existing Moen 3375. I found a new 3375 on Ebay and bough new 2570 and 250 valves to keep all existing trim and exit side piping in place.

Drywall people come in 9 days and then I am back to normal. It took 3 months from when we started to open walls to done. Never went without water other than cutover day and that was 9 hours without. Lost 2 weeks due to a flu or something. and other than the cutover week all work was done on about 6 hour shifts on Saturdays. I still need to tally up costs and such once I return a bunch of pipe and fittings, but conservative estimate is I saved myself $3K likely closer to $4K and walked away with about $1200 in tools (Pex expansion, new drill, reciprocating saw, rotozip, impact driver).

I definitely underestimated the effort, and at times wondered if paying a pro to do it in 4 days would be better off, but considering I did things exactly how I wanted them and did not take any short cuts I am still leaning toward worth the effort. It is a good feeling to do it and I learned a lot about what to and not to do.

And I have a new found respect for plumbers that do this every day as this is wear on your body. And a very special thanks to folks here especially @Twowaxhack for a great deal of excellent advice.

I posted more pic in the previous link and will update more in the next few days. I have tons of before and after shots and videos. I hope to place some videos together with narration and post to YouTube in the coming months.

So my early numbers are in and it looks like the DIY effort cost considerably more than I forecasted, but I am still ahead by about $3K. All the plumbers were going to just pull pex-B in place of the existing copper. They were all going to leave a small portion of existing copper at shower and tubs. I wound up replacing tub/shower valves, diverter and all pressure side copper as well as fabricated better copper routing around the hit water heaters. Valves, copper and fittings probably around $500. Right now it looks like I spent around $6K and bought about $1200-$1400 in tools as part of that. I had forecast it would cost me $3-4K and did not expect to buy so many tools. The least expensive plumber was $8700 (Pex-B) and only plumber offering Pex-A was $10.5K and did not promise what brand it would be. I may sell off some of the tools in a few months when I realize I may never use half of them.

I still have some pipe and fittings to return that I figure will be about $500-$700 in refunds. I also did not skimp, I probably could have saved a few hundred with materials taking some short cuts, but that is not me. Wife was hoping we saved more, and is questioning if it was worth it, I feel it was very worth it as I know every pipe and fitting. And like most things I do I over engineered it.

My next decision is whether to have the main from the meter replaced. From what I can tell no-one around me has had main issues, but would anyone even know based on how these pinholes start and don't leak a lot for a while.

Well just when I thought I was done and 4 days before the ceiling and walls were to be close I see a bare drip from one of the brass fittings. WTF. Well tomorrow I am drawing water and taking out the brass. I will put in stainless elbows and pinch clamps in this section and scrap the thought of brass. My guess is either not tight enough or I did not use enough pipe dope. These were my first threaded fitting and when I did all my copper is did blue monster tape with real tuff dope on top, these were dope only.

Yeah, I didn’t like those brass fittings you have there. I questioned you about it.

Glad you caught it.

Yeah, I ordered the stainless fittings as plan B a while back and held on to them and should have done them all along. I was tempted to get walls/ceiling closed this week and would have missed it, so fate played a role in this. I was pig headed about always using expansion fittings for whatever reason. I get that way at times.

Well I did not have to use the stainless fittings. With all the old copper out now it was a bit of an effort, but was able to finesse the pex in with elbow attached to I could stick with the expansion fittings. Now hopefully I am truly all done. No more brass, dumb idea in hindsight and all pressure side piping is either pex or new L Copper with all new shower/tub valves and diverter. Hopefully I will be dead by the time any of this acts up.

1653159577414.jpeg

I know everyone is probably sick of this thread, and I believe this will be the final post. The job is done, walls and ceiling got closed and painted last week. I have a rear hose bob to finish and the little bit of copper under the kitchen sink (all accessible from basement) and will be putting in a whole house filter to help lower the chlorine content. Put up a bunch more pic that shows everything start to finish. Overall very impressed with Pex-A and Uponor, even if it was a bit more stressful at times to get fitting in before pipe shrinks too much. Thanks again to everyone here and especially @Twowaxhack

House Re-Pipe Project 2022 by Keith Luken

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for this thread that had been so wonderful to read and navigate. I'm in the earliest stages of potential repipe of our house because of the known Uponor AquaPEX Type A (Red Hot Line) failures from a few years back! I'll start a new discussion, of course, but thank you for all your insights and hoping to hear from you guys @hdtvkeith & @Twowaxhack if your still active here!

Back