An anal OCD person contemplates house re-pipe decisions around Pex.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have a spreadsheet with tabs for Southern Pip and then online. Southern Pip's prices on the fittings are decent and their stock looks very good execept for 1 or 2 items, nothing critical. I am going to order excess of everything just in case.

Well got rear of ceiling open and what do you know there is a pinhole leak that was getting sucked up by the ceiling joist. Will post a pic later, but there is one spot I am trying to figure out how I am going to pipe and get a F1960 fitting. Really see the poor standards of the 1980s in Georgia housing. One joist is notched at te bottom then there is another joist a few inches on either side, don’t even see the purpose of it. Mapped out what I need and will be placing order in next day or two.

Yeah I have a spreadsheet with tabs for Southern Pip and then online. Southern Pip's prices on the fittings are decent and their stock looks very good execept for 1 or 2 items, nothing critical. I am going to order excess of everything just in case.

Buy one of those Milwaukee organizer boxes and make you a nice fitting kit with the extra partsyou have left over.

Pex B is much faster and IMO easier to install. The Id is smaller but with good pressure it’s not an issue.

I was going with Rehua Pex-A, did not know Rehau made Pex-B everything on their site is about F1960 and Everloc.

I use rehau pex b exclusively and have for years. No problems, not one.

Southern pipe sells it everyday, I buy from them.

Last edited:
That is where I have built my online order from, and that is what I thought you meant early in the thread, and I will call Southern Pipe in AM, but every Rehau Pex pipe listed on the web site says it is Pex a. Even when I look at the Rehau product catalog it all saya Pex a. Their counter guide says you can use crimp fittings with it.

https://www.rehau.com/downloads/496556/raupexuvshieldcounterguide-855825-rehau.pdf

You may be right. The pex I have from rehau may be pex A, I’ve never checked. I believe it’s been presented to me as pex b, but again, I’ve never checked.
🤣
I’ve been using the insert crimp system for years. All the way back to polybutylene. Properly crimped joints don’t leak unless there’s material failure. I’ve blown the pipe up trying to get one to blow apart.

Ive put it in a hydraulic test chamber and split the pipe wall.
Same with copper......the pipe ruptures before the joint fails.

But I’m about to walk to my shop and check it👍

Thanks, you scared me a second, I thought I was missing something and was getting ready to order tomorrow. I love that Rehaus supports both fitting, connection methods.

Thanks, you scared me a second, I thought I was missing something and was getting ready to order tomorrow. I love that Rehaus supports both fitting, connection methods.

You are absolutely 100% correct. It’s Pex-a that I’ve been using.

It’s good stuff and I’ve never had any trouble crimping it, 100% success for years.

Uv shield red and blue. I buy the 20’ sticks.

Thanks, that is my plan 20 ft sticks, blue and red. Interesting how they support all connection types, I believe Uponor Pex-A does not support using anything other than expansion. I truly appreciate your help here, it had me rethink some things that would have made the job more complicated than it needed to be. I will keep people posted and I have tons of pics and videos so far to show progress.

This will be the trickiest part. They evidently have hot and cold copper sitting on each other all over the pace. But this place where 1/2 copper line goes to main shower hot and then the 3/4 cold branches to 1/2 for shower and another for toilet in adjoining bathroom. the gap is a few inches at best and it is over the kitchen cabinets. Was going to fee the pex from above, grab it with my hand and let the pipe bend it was way out to where I can work on it and connect it in the open space. The joist is a 2x10 so I have plenty of radius for a natural curve. Other option is a 3x4 inlet to a 3 port 1/2 minimanidl, stub/plug the third outlet and then feed it back down, but then if there is ever a leak it will be a nightmare.
PXL_20220213_183605827.jpgPXL_20220213_183553958.jpg

http://www.pexcrimpusa.com/
You can also make an assembly of several fittings together on the floor then install it all at once.

You don’t have to crimp each fitting in place.

Above all else make perfect crimps. Don’t try to crimp in a bad position.

You will use less fittings with pex vs the currently installed copper

This fact helps make up the difference between the friction loss by the insert fittings compared to the copper that’s full diameter.

http://www.pexcrimpusa.com/
You can also make an assembly of several fittings together on the floor then install it all at once.

You don’t have to crimp each fitting in place.

Above all else make perfect crimps. Don’t try to crimp in a bad position.

Yeah that is what I liek about pex, I can snak it down, pull it out in an area to secure all the fittings and feed it back into place. I have 2 more walls to open next weekend, I already know what is behind them from when we remodeled. Will order this week then get started.

Dumb question, Do you get hung up about using Rehau fittings and crimps or you use whatever you can get? I ask as I can find all the fittings and stuff Rehau branded, except one which I can get Uponor or another brand. Where do you usually get your fittings and stuff online?

Dumb question, Do you get hung up about using Rehau fittings and crimps or you use whatever you can get? I ask as I can find all the fittings and stuff Rehau branded, except one which I can get Uponor or another brand. Where do you usually get your fittings and stuff online?
I’ve used all kinds of fittings from a lot of manufacturers with rehau pipe. It all has worked fine.

Stainless or bronze is best but you can get lead free brass.

So when we had the first 3 pinholes in the basement I decided we need to get in front of this. My wife and friend questioned why do the entire house, wait. Well when I opened the ceiling last weekend I did not see it at first, but there was a pinhole that seems to have been there a while. I did my $2 fix for now, but you can see it wicked along the joist and the sheetrock. I assume eventually it would have increased enough to be visible on the ceiling, but by then who knows what would happen. Hoped to get final walls and ceiling opened this weekend and hope to place piping order tomorrow.

PXL_20220216_121652062.jpg

I just want to tell the both of you... Thanks!
It's a real pleasure to see someone that is so motivated to do a job, and do it right, and also a professional that is not out to do anything but be helpful and to give up free time to a stranger.

That's all I wanted to say, it helps me believe more in my fellow man. :cool:

Thanks. When I look at some of the half ass stuff the builder’s plumber did I said I need to fix some of this in the repipe. No one has more vested in this than me and every plumber said they would just replace the copper with OEM following same runs.

Back