An anal OCD person contemplates house re-pipe decisions around Pex.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdtvkeith

Reaction score
OK, please bear with me.
Fist I am a bit anal and OCD, and yes my wife is still with me, ha.

When we remodeled a few years back it took about 4 months before we started because I built a spreadsheet with everything we were buying, links to everything and prices. The good thing was we stayed well within our budget this way.

My part of Georgia it seems is known to have issues with pinholes in copper over time. Well the house is 37 years old and my time has come. 3 easy to access and repair pinholes in last 4 months.

We decided to re-pipe and get ahead of this before something happens and damages some of the work we put into the remodel.

I am a bit handy and while it has been a while since I sweat copper I do feel comfortable attempting this re-pipe myself, especially since the quotes I got are $10-$13K.

I have spent the last month researching Pex-A vs Pex-B then brass, vs plastic, vs stainless fittings.

I get plumbing is like religion, but I am willing to be preached to 😉

For reference I had 5 quotes to do the house, 1 was Pex-A, 3 were Pex-B and one was CPVC. I was all for CPVC until I started reading about how it get brittle over time. I quickly discarded that. I was all about Pex-A but when I asked each plumber why they chose what they did Pex-B plumbers all mentioned some issues with Pex-A and having to have repaired newer builds that had Pex-A in them. Seeing how Uponor pulled the blue/red pipes I suspect this has something to do with it. And I have no basis for this opinion, but the magic of the pipe wanting to get back where it was after expanding seems a little voodoo for me, especially over the years, would it not relax at some point to where it is currently?

As I did more research I see that there are references to Pex-A leaching more and having more or a potential plastic taste. We drinks tons of water form the tape and that would be a real bad side effect if true. Curious what other are experiencing and have found?

I was leaning toward Zurn with their cinch clamps, but I think my decision is being forced as Pex-B (outside of what Home Depot carries) is hard to find. I can get while 100 foot coils, but more on that in a bit. My second choice was Viega, btu to use non-Viega cinch clamp as I was going by the Ryobi cordless cinch clamp tool to make this quicker. Granted using non pipe fittings/clamps lowers the warranty, but I am buying the pipe I trust will last as a warranty claim is useless if I have to rip mu ceiling or walls open again.

I get that in theory Pex-A is easier to work with and bends easier, but best I can tell the documented bend radius for Pex-A and Pex-B is the same 6x the OD of the pipe, the only exception is if you bend against the coil it is double the OD of the pipe.

That leads me to the next decision, sticks vs. coils. The coil will have less waste, but I have read that fighting the coil can be a pain, and then the bend radius can be an issue. That said I double I will have many of any runs that would exceed a 20 foot stick. I have seen videos to unwind the coil, and it makes sense, btu they all show the coil still not being straight. Also if I do Pex-B I will upsize and this be using a lot of 1 inch and 3/4 inch pips for the main line and downsizing to 1/2 inch on the final legs.

Final decision is fittings. I have read brass fittings can have issues, yet many swear by them. They are also thinner than plastic and this do not restrict the flow. Even on Pex-A I have seen it mentions that plastic restrict the flow a bit. If I went Pex-B I was going to use Boshart Stainless fittings to never have to deal with the fittings. If I go Uponor it seems their 3/4 inch brass fittings are back order until May. So if I really want brass I will have to go third part and thus the warranty drops from 25 to 10 years. Even if I do Pex-A my concern is the plastic fitting may impact flow/pressure of flow.

I get it some of you think I am insane, and my wife will agree with you. But as I walk through this I have started capturing pics and videos of the project to put up a YouTube video when done along with commentary as to why I landed on some of the decisions and my experience as well.

I will appreciate any thoughts, feedback or even criticisms supplied. Thanks in advance!

I would use Rehau brand pex B and stainless fittings with copper crimp rings.

I don’t like making short bends in the pipe.

I like 20’ sticks to repipe with unless I have a very long run to make.

It’s easy unless you make it hard.

If you have good water pressure 65-80 psi I wouldn’t upsize anything.

1” from the well or meter until after your first cold water connection. After that drop to 3/4.

Run 3/4 hot/cold trunk lines and drop each fixture with 1/2”.

Done

If you have good water pressure 65-80 psi I wouldn’t upsize anything.

1” from the well or meter until after your first cold water connection. After that drop to 3/4.

Run 3/4 hot/cold trunk lines and drop each fixture with 1/2”.

Done

Rehau ws on my list as well and not carried anywhere locally. Ferguson all over here seems to love Uponor. I may ask them to custom order.

Ironically I had 74 psi and took the flow restrictor out of master shower. until the pinholes showed then dropped to 62 for now and boy did I notice it. County easily delivers over 80 psi so I like your idea and maybe just go back to 72-74psi.

I refuse to buy anything from Ferguson.

I’ve had to deal with a couple idiots that work for them here. Never again……

I refuse to buy anything from Ferguson.

I’ve had to deal with a couple idiots that work for them here. Never again……

Any suggestions then on a good supplier in the area, I am in East Cobb. Have emails out to a few I find online, but personal recommendations are always better than Google or blind calling.

Any suggestions then on a good supplier in the area, I am in East Cobb. Have emails out to a few I find online, but personal recommendations are always better than Google or blind calling.
Southern Pipe

One step ahead, just called them. I set up an online account, just used my name as my business so I can build a order list, then can work with them for delivery. Hopefully they will have everything I need.

One step ahead, just called them. I set up an online account, just used my name as my business so I can build a order list, then can work with them for delivery. Hopefully they will have everything I need.

They probably will
Not have stainless pex fittings. It’ll be brass or plastic. They’ll have the rest

Yeah looking at their website looks promising. Been back and forth on brass vs. plastic and like the idea of brass, bus concerns about how it will last. My darn copper did not last 37 years would have to have to open up ceilings and walls again if the brass fails early.

This isn’t a recommendation, but, in 1974, I built a home in north MS. I plumbed it with PVC and CPVC. I lived there over 10 years and had two in an uninsulated area freeze when the temperature was in single digits. I built another home in 1992 in middle TN., using the same pipe. Thirty years this year with zero issues. During that time I’ve had friends with copper to experience pinholes which caused extensive damage. In no way am I recommending not to use copper, PEX or whatever. Just sharing my experience. Let me say that I’m thankful for not having any problems. I agree with twowaxhack (not sure if I got the name right), that i like rigid pipe. I hate to try to work with coiled anything. I like the neat look when rigid pipe is used. Incidentally, what would fellows recommend for air compressor piping.
Thanks! I really enjoy this forum.

Your house on a slab ? You running the pipe in the attic ?

Your house on a slab ? You running the pipe in the attic ?

House is 2 floors with a basement. plumbing comes in basement and run along basement ceiling (all open and easy to get to) for the first floor kitchen and bathroom, then 2 3/4 lines go up stairs to the ceiling of first floor where they run down the the ceiling and branch out to the 2 bathrooms up stairs. Attic is not much of an option because it is small and I have 21 inches of insulation in the way up there.

Wife is not happy that we are ripping open kitchen ceiling especially since we had it remodeled 7 years ago. Ignore my hack job opening the kitchen ceiling, long story, but I will be hiring someone to replace it since I cusk at drywall work.

1644245760079.png1644245789599.png1644245855745.png1644245985068.png

I wish I lived close, I’d knock that out for you. I love it when the drywall is gone and everything’s opened up like that.

I could replace that in a couple hours.

I’m 5 hrs away.

Back