Amtrol Digital Controller/Switch for Well Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawiski

City Sleeker -> Rancher
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with using Amtrol on well pump setup ?
This product seems like way more reliable and easier to adjust (but pricey at about $160). It seems like converting from points/condenser to electronic ignition on old cars, reliability wise. But I am not sure if I can use this kind of digital switch to turn on/off my Goulds 1 hp jetpump (which is actually above the ground and pressurizes the bladder tank). I've never heard about using digital controller/switch from any of my neighbors (who all have one well/pump setup) nor from the pump guy who installed my well pump.
Please give you thoughts on this.
Thanks.

Here is the link to the Amtrol switch.

http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/AmtrolrMC10043.pdf

If you look at the 2nd page of the pdf file, you will notice the wiring hook up is exactly as same as on typical mechanical switch.

I heard this kind of digital control/switch is a fairly new for well pump usage and Amtrol is the only brand for now. That's hard for me to believe it in time and age... but then I am a newbie in this field.

I've never used one and don't plan to for the price.

As near as I can tell from their brochure, it's simply a pressure switch that is able to sense rapid cycling and a few other faults.

The thing I don't like about it is:
They say the device can detect rapid cycling, but on the other hand they say you can dial it down to a 10 pound differential which means they are going to cycle your pump to death in ten pound increments in an attempt to make it seem like you have constant pressure. As much as I don't like or trust constant pressure pumps, they would be a better choice (not monetarily) as would a constant pressure valve.

amtrol.jpg

Last edited:
Back