American Standard shower valve cartridge replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr2020

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace a cartridge in an old American Standard Reliant 1495 series shower/tub valve. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience replacing the cartridge. Any advice/help to remove the old one from the valve would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
In case anyone else finds this shower/tub valve in their home, it's actually really easy to replace the cartridge. The outer plastic piece with all of the holes in it is actually a nut, so unscrew it counter-clockwise. Then you can remove the old cartridge. The original cartridge part # is 044885-0070a. I didn't install an oem cartridge because there was a better option. IMO.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 9
In case anyone else finds this shower/tub valve in their home, it's actually really easy to replace the cartridge. The outer plastic piece with all of the holes in it is actually a nut, so unscrew it counter-clockwise. Then you can remove the old cartridge. The original cartridge part # is 044885-0070a. I didn't install an oem cartridge because there was a better option. IMO.

Please let me know what was the better option for the replacement cartridge, I'm in the process of replacing as we speak.

Thank you

Kim

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I figured it would be better than starting a new one. I am also attempting to replace this type of American Standard valve. I've ordered the replacement kit based on the part # listed above, but the instructions it came with are barely legible .

I am trying to figure out where the white O-ring and the larger of the three black O-rings get installed.

I am thinking the white goes on the outer area indicated (the instructions look like the mention the underside) and the black on the inner area? 20240302_104713.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Back