American Standard 4392 Toilet Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul in Ohio

Reaction score
Hi --- I noticed this morning that my American Standard 4392 toilet (Colony?) was double-flushing. It's had that problem before, and I replaced and adjusted the flapper valve to make the problem go away. Not sure why it returned, but in the process of readjusting the chain, a leak developed under the tank. I pulled the mounting screws to see if the rubber washers had split, but they are pliable and not split. So I pulled off the tank to look at bottom side of the flush valve assembly, and it looks okay as well. The tank doesn't have any visible cracks. So I'm tempted to just go get a replacement valve assembly and rubber washers - don't think I can find American Standard parts at the local home stores though. Any downside from using generic parts? Thanks

is the spud nut tight?
pull he tank, remove the spud nut washer
tighten the spud nut. if washer looks funky replace it also
clean the bowl where the spud washer sits. pipe dope washer then set it on the bowl

in what order were the tank bolts, nuts, washers installed?
if there is a metal washer inside the tank
whoop day it is !!!!!!the problem

I decided to just go ahead and replace the flush valve assembly. Ended up being a good call as once I removed the old one, it was clear that the gasket was breaking down. All better now. Thanks for responding.

Latest posts

Back