Altmans Thermostatic Valve Not Working

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikPiazza

Reaction score
I recently had some issues with my hot water system and it was suggested by a plumber that the issue was crossover. This shower valve that I installed during a bathroom remodel 5 years ago was a suspect so I pulled the cartridge out to inspect it for damage. Nothing looked amiss so I put it back in. Now, it doesn't do anything to control the temperature. I just get medium warm water no matter which way I turn the temperature control. Also, if I tighten the cartridge all the way, it stops the cold water flowing. I have to back the cartridge out a couple of turns in order for the cold water to flow through.

1) It seems more likely that I'm reinstalling the cartridge incorrectly than there being something wrong with the cartridge. Any advice on reinstalling it (there are no instructions in the manual and Altmans is no longer in business)?

2) Anyone have any other info or opinions on Altmans valves? It was sold to me by a high-end plumbing supplier, but now I think they were just trying to clear out inventory. No parts appear available for these valves anymore so even if this issue is fixable without a new cartridge, it seems inevitable that the valve will have to be replaced. Should I just suck it up and do it now?

Hi Erik,

I've been having the exact same issues with my Altmans Thermostatic cartridge as well. I've replaced it 3 times in the past 1.5 years already. I had a plumber come out the last time because I kept wondering if i was doing something wrong. One thing that was mentioned is that the original supplier does not make the part anymore and perhaps the quality has diminished? I'm a bit surprised by that because I think that could explain 1 or maybe 2 faults but not 3-4. I also replaced the shutoff valves nearby. This one lasted around 5-6 months. Before having any issues the cartridge lasted at least 5 years, from when I moved in at least.

Did you ever figure anything out with this?

Still scratching my head. The plumber said changing the valve would require a pretty decent sized bathroom reno which is disappointing because it was done around 8 years ago or so and is one of the newest things in the house!

Back