Alternative To Graphite Packing Ring For Campbell Yard Hydrants❓

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webmonk

Reaction score
I have six Campbell yard hydrants. On several I have leaks around the packing nut when they are on. The packing for the nut is not an o-ring, but a graphite packing ring. Outside of buying a full repair parts kit I was able to find only one location where I could buy the packing and it cost $12, which seems absurd for a single item. I'm wondering if there are any plumbers with experience in this area that could provide some alternatives. I see some graphite rope, but not sure if it would be the right solution for this situation. What about actual o-rings?

Campbell Frost Proof Hydrants

Graphite Packing Ring
Graphite Packing Rope
ring.jpg
rope.jpg

Add graphite packing on top off what’s already there. Don’t remove the old packing unless you have a brand new packing made for the faucet.

Add graphite packing on top of what’s already there.

Thanks. That stopped the leak. Hopefully, it will continue to do so for a long time.

The "ring" obviously wraps all the way around and provides an unbroken seal. If I were to purchase the rope version and wrap it around the shaft, will it still work well on providing an unbroken seal? In other words, if it overlaps, when the packing nut is tightened, will it compress together and provide an equally good seal? This is my first experience with graphite packing so I'm unfamiliar with it.

Latest posts

Back