Airlock under the kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

us2010

Reaction score
Today I tied to install a new dishwasher since my old dishwasher was old and was leaking. I am a homeowner and this is the first time I got into plumbing. The installation went fine. I disconnected the hot water copper tube after turning off the valve which feeds into to dish washer and kitchen faucet. I also turned off the cold water line that feeds into kitchen faucet. I connected the disher hot water feed using a new dishwasher kit. After successfully installing the dishwasher I tried to turn on both the hot and cold water lines. I am not getting any hot water. Two hours later Cold water started dripping slowly. I know this is something to do with airlock. I do not have any problem with the rest of the water lines anywhere in my house. Both hot and cold water lines work. I just wanted to know how to get release the airlock. All I did was turning off the hot water line and install a new hot water pipe? Do this kinds of things happen to expert plumber?

When you say airlock this is rare, especially under a sink. Whats far more likely is that when you have turned off an old valve you have dislodged sediment in the pipes and this has been caught up in a filter - but that's only my generalized answer. If you want to make sure its not an airlock just suck on the hot tap (please turn heating off before or don't sue for the advice at least)

Plan B - and only after taking a good look at your layouts is to connect a mains pressure hose (bit of hose, temporary bridging pipe etc) from the MAINS COLD to the GRAVITY FED HOT WATER to blow the crap out back into the tank, then put back to normal and suck the hot to remove any airlock HIGHER THAN THE TANK OUTLET

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that some sediment is clogging the areator on the kitchen sink spout. Take the areator off and see if you get any water. If so, clean or replace the areator.

Reactions: SHR
Attached see the pictures. As usual I just replaced the hot water flexible pipe that goes to new dishwasher I installed(replace the old one). Also, take a look at the old copper tube I pulled out before replacing the newer one. After I unscrewed I kinda put some pressure to pull the copper tube (see how the copper tube is bent). Do you think this might have caused something to block the valve. Now I am getting both hot and cold water but they just run real slow. I did nothing with the cold water line. I had just turned off and after installation I just turned it on. I am not getting the cold water at all (now It is just dripping a little bit though)

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I am getting the water now in full force both hot and cold. It took almost 4 hrs to get back to normal. Crazy, isn't it!

That was indeed airlock. Why the faucet doesn't pass the air, I don't know.
Another method I just used was to turn off the water supply, then I was able to open a drinking water faucet to let the air pass (branches off cold), then turn water back on. Worked on the cold side, but the hot side I had to turn off water at the house supply in basement, then disconnect the hot water line to faucet to let the air pass. Then tighten and back on.

Back