air is only additive needed for septic success

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouvakis

Reaction score
i live in texas where we have 18 inches of sand over clay. my double tank old style dribble thru anaerobic septic system was putting out some pretty nasty stuff into and old shallow well about 700 feet downhill from my leach lines. it looked like bordens chocalotte mik with froth on top and stunk reeeeeeeeeaal bad. I got 2 devilbiss nebulizers machine (air pumps) that our govt sponsored wlefare system gives to every poor child with a snotty nose. found one at a steel salvage yard paid 10 cents a pound and got the other off of the interenet used. hooked nylon tubing up to them and made a tube to go down in my septic tanks with some pvc pipe. i have been running them for several months and the water in that old well is clear and doesnt smell and there are frogs living in there as well. you can turn your septic tank into an aerrobic system the same way. i will probably put a time on them and run them only 12 hours a day after a while. bh

putting out some pretty nasty stuff into and old shallow well about 700 feet downhill from my leach lines

You are breaking some very serious laws in the state of Texas. Not just some hefty fines, but jail time is not unheard of.
Any part of septic water that goes into ANY WELL in Texas is a contamination of Texas ground water, and is against the law.

When you turn the air off, the process stops working. Leave the air going, it work much better that way.

Last edited:
Seven hundred feet is a long distance for effluent water to run. Sounds like your well is a dug well. Why not fill it in with dirt. That should make it a bit safer.

I guess what your saying is that the water is running downhill under the sand but on top of the clay and running straight into this dug well.

yes it is a dug well. all of 13 feet deep it is just above a hardwood bottom. as you might imagine it is not used for any thing but monitoring the founction of my septic system. it is lined with concrete and is a area of sandy clay. i was told it was dug over 60-70 years ago to water horse in the meadow beyond it which is now an interstate highway. in rainy springtime the water level in the well will reach ground level . some guy in wisconson sells a device for $1500 dollars which is an air pump with a timer on it that does what my pump does. he has some pretty impressive support from some university that evaluated his device. anyway, dammit, its my land and my well and besides most of us still believe in the 10 acre rule. i just wanted to tell some of you about a cheap way to turn your old anaerobic system areobic for less than $50 instead of thinking about having to spend $ 3000-5000 on a brand new system. have you ever seen what happens to an aerobic system with sprinklers when the electricity goes out after a january ice storm??????????????

as for additives most it them a pure frauds. there is more bacteria in a gallon of septic water than a whole box "x" dont get me started -especially about the pumping out septic tank business. the greatest amount of solids that end up tin the tank is sand and dirt from the washing machine. the biggest problem is caused by people putting animal and vegatable fat down the drains and greasing up the pores in the dirt around the leach lines. at best it can be turnes to soap by alkali but it wont open up the pores. :>{)

its my land and my well and besides most of us still believe in the 10 acre rule.

There is no such thing when it comes to wells of any kind in the state of Texas.

i did not say law, regulation, code, or ordinance. i should have said "unwritten rule" it would take too long to explain

Change of subject: deep wells can be located just about anywhere if you drill deep enough to hit the aquifers in most of the southern US and Mexico.

what is your method for locating shallow wells 20-100 foot deep that rely on ground water and underground springs ????????

Back