Air in water lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smb779

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and my just wanted to pick some plumbing brains about air in my water lines. If you turn on any of my faucets, 9 times out of 10, there will be a big spit of air that comes out before any water. After the water starts flowing really good, there might be a spit of air again several times but it is completely random. If I drain my lines, usually at my pressure tank in the basement it stays good for around 5-7 days. No air whatsoever. But after that it just comes back same as it was. Of course I could keep draining every 5-7 days, but I'm kinda curious why I can't keep this air out of my lines. Am I bleeding the lines wrong? Is there something I'm overlooking? I usually overlook obvious stuff lol. Like I said it works great for about a week after I drain. Not sure if this could be a tank problem? My tank was put in in 2007, by the company that drilled my well, and It's a fibreglass tank not steel. Or could it be a pump issue? But if my pump was sucking air somehow, would it clear up after I drain my lines? I just figured if it was the pump sucking air, I'd have air all the time. I'm no plumber by any means, I can do the basics, but stuff like this I figured I'd start with people that know what they are talking about. Which is why I'm here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I’m not completely sure. I replaced it 2 years ago. The air problem was around before we swapped it out, and the problem continues. Do glass lined tanks cause an air issue? There is air in my cold water as well.

There is a specific reaction that can occur causing hydrogen gas to build inside your water supply system with glass lined water heaters. It seems like you have incoming air but it's hydrogen gas. Id have to research it to remember the conditions that cause it.

Bradford White had an issue with the anode rods in theirs (outsourced). They were breaking down causing pressure to build.

Hi again everyone. This is still driving me crazy lol. I’m on a well btw. I’m wondering if it may be a bad check valve at my tank allowing water to flow back, causing an air pocket? I also have an inline plastic check valve about 10’ back from the tank ( I guess it’s a check valve,I’m not 100% sure. I’ll have to submit a pic after work for y’all to check out). but that plastic valve or whatever it is, has a fitting coming off the side of it about 1/4”x 3/4” long, and when the pump turns on you can feel this fitting sucking air. I put my finger in it and it sucks my finger right to the hole in the end of the fitting. But I have no idea why or what it is. I’ll post a pic later. Thanks for reading

This seems like a simple issue, but since the pros haven't replied, I expect it can be more complex or that this is an issue they leave to the "well guys". We have a good "well guy", and he makes adjustments and does installations. He has a lot of experience with causes of symptoms, and it doesn't take long for him to diagnose and offer repair costs. (or to do repairs, for that matter) Experience matters.

That said, it sounds to me like the check valve you described is what is failing. After the water flow stabilizes, if you have one, I would temporarily shut a valve just before the pressure tank, then turn on a faucet inside to be sure that it runs without air. If the flow is initially normal and drops, I would call a good "well guy". There may be additional issues, like grit getting into the pressure regulator or a well that isn't replenishing quickly enough. Anything that disturbs the water in the well can stir up grit, which will affect and may damage other parts of the system.

A new well should be flushed for a long time before it is placed into service or after a pump has been pulled. This eliminates most small particles that can be pumped through the regulator and valves. Usually this causes a chatter, but at a faucet inside you may see a surge of water followed by a drop or no water repeated in a fast cycle. When a well isn't replenishing quickly, you may see irregular flow and pressure along with air after you opened a valve for a while, and the water may be stirred up within the well. There may also be an issue with how high your pump is set from the bottom.

There is a specific reaction that can occur causing hydrogen gas to build inside your water supply system with glass lined water heaters. It seems like you have incoming air but it's hydrogen gas. Id have to research it to remember the conditions that cause it.

JG, I would be very curious about this if you can find it again. Sounds very dangerous. Possibly when galvanized parts are used along with a different metal, or something that specifically occurred with a certain type or model of glass-lined water heater? I had to redo someone else's work one time because he used galvanized parts on top of a water heater for a PEX system, and iron was oxidizing and feeding iron-sulfur bacteria in the lines. (not pretty)

Back