Air in water lines

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Smb779

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and my just wanted to pick some plumbing brains about air in my water lines. If you turn on any of my faucets, 9 times out of 10, there will be a big spit of air that comes out before any water. After the water starts flowing really good, there might be a spit of air again several times but it is completely random. If I drain my lines, usually at my pressure tank in the basement it stays good for around 5-7 days. No air whatsoever. But after that it just comes back same as it was. Of course I could keep draining every 5-7 days, but I'm kinda curious why I can't keep this air out of my lines. Am I bleeding the lines wrong? Is there something I'm overlooking? I usually overlook obvious stuff lol. Like I said it works great for about a week after I drain. Not sure if this could be a tank problem? My tank was put in in 2007, by the company that drilled my well, and It's a fibreglass tank not steel. Or could it be a pump issue? But if my pump was sucking air somehow, would it clear up after I drain my lines? I just figured if it was the pump sucking air, I'd have air all the time. I'm no plumber by any means, I can do the basics, but stuff like this I figured I'd start with people that know what they are talking about. Which is why I'm here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Smb779

Reaction score
I’m not completely sure. I replaced it 2 years ago. The air problem was around before we swapped it out, and the problem continues. Do glass lined tanks cause an air issue? There is air in my cold water as well.

JG plumbing

Reaction score
There is a specific reaction that can occur causing hydrogen gas to build inside your water supply system with glass lined water heaters. It seems like you have incoming air but it's hydrogen gas. Id have to research it to remember the conditions that cause it.

SHEPLMBR

not a Junior Member anymore!
Sponsor
Reaction score
Bradford White had an issue with the anode rods in theirs (outsourced). They were breaking down causing pressure to build.