Air in pipes, mostly hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjlamphere

Reaction score
For about a year, our faucets spit and spit. Pressure is fine. City water. Two times, I have opened all of the faucets, (including running the washer, dishwasher, getting water from the fridge) and shut off the Main Water Supply. Both times, it did not work and the spitting continued. Will this hurt my pipes and is there anything else I can do to fix this annoying problem? Thanks for any tips.

I’d call the water company and tell them that they have air in their system.

You may be at the top of the service area and air migrates up in a plumbing system.

I’m assuming you live in this house and it’s occupied normally.

I’d call the water company and tell them that they have air in their system.

You may be at the top of the service area and air migrates up in a plumbing system.

I’m assuming you live in this house and it’s occupied normally.
Our water is supplied by the Village we live in. I figured this is my internal problem and not something that they would address. I doubt that they do "service calls", unless there is a broken water pipe.

What constitutes fine? What is the incoming water pressure?
I don't know what the pressure is, but it comes out strong, just spits when it starts, then runs smoothly and strong....not a pressure problem, but an air in the system problem.

Our water is supplied by the Village we live in. I figured this is my internal problem and not something that they would address. I doubt that they do "service calls", unless there is a broken water pipe.
Good luck 👍

I can say with certainty that with regular-normal water piping systems, there is none of the spitting you describe.
I have, in my own house, experienced the sound of a little air in the morning on occasion.

A couple of thoughts:

If the water is particularly conductive, you might be creating gas by eating up your hot water heater anode by galvanic action, so while unlikely, you really want to check that (test water for TDS and pull/replace anode), as the failure modes are really bad.

Look for an Automatic Air Valve, which will release air in water lines. I've seen them on small tanks where the supply lines enter the house (inlet on the top, outlet on the bottom, automatic air valve on the top or another nearby port), but you might start by putting one on a high point in your incoming supply.

Back