Air admittance valve for a basement sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooeymoose

Reaction score
I am installing a Zoeller drain pump series 105 for a small prep sink in a basement with an overhead sewer. At this time there is no vent to this sink but I can go through a lot of trouble to bring once to it. However, I was wondering if it is fine to use an air admittance valve for the vent on the drain pump basin? If so is one better than others?

You’ll need to follow the instructions that comes with the pump.

Typically the AAV would protect the sink trap and the basin would have its own vent to the outside.

The pump has a 2 inch vent connector but they don’t talk about using an AAV at all. They sell these at Home Depot and I guess they are code complaint but this seem a little gray to me. I certainly would prefer to use it and it would seem like it would be fine I just don’t know how well it would work. Questions I have is will it let enough air in for these pumps? Another question I have is would be be better to use two 45 degree angles vs one 90 off the ejector pump? The point would be for less noise / rattling.

The pump has a 2 inch vent connector but they don’t talk about using an AAV at all. They sell these at Home Depot and I guess they are code complaint but this seem a little gray to me. I certainly would prefer to use it and it would seem like it would be fine I just don’t know how well it would work. Questions I have is will it let enough air in for these pumps? Another question I have is would be be better to use two 45 degree angles vs one 90 off the ejector pump? The point would be for less noise / rattling.
The basin needs it’s own vent to open air, no AAV.

Open to air? I understand it should have 3 ports.
1) one is the sink drain
2) drain line
3) vent. I would like to connect the vent to an AAV vs plumbing to my house vents. Bad idea?

Attachments

• 39201CCB-CE16-414E-B182-367FEB2D943D.png
    39201CCB-CE16-414E-B182-367FEB2D943D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Ok then how about a something like this. This is a small basement bar sink the will get minimal use. There is no venting near by and to vent it I would have to travel about 50 feet in a horizontal direction. I am not sure either about proper ways to connect to a existing vents. I imagine the vent has to have a slight pitch and no low spots as travels?

Pentair Flotec FPUS1860A Utility Sink Pump System

Last edited:
Pumps build positive and negative pressure, that is why AAV's are not allowed. I would also not install a pumped line straight into a hung sewer, at least turn the wye up and go in the top. Any small back up is going to head right down to that sink. Also ferncos are no longer legal on sanitary in my area, needs to have a shield

The BurCam 300514WH Laundry Tub Pump, Automatic Switch, 1/3 hp, 115V https://a.co/d/1VFCqP8 seems like a viable option for my sink. I called the company and they have been selling them for a long time. I would use unions and not the ferncos devices. Plus there is a check valve in front of the pump. I guess if the check valve fails then it could be a problem. Anyone use a pump like this? It is a code violation?

If the answer remains that I have to have a vent are there limitations to the horizontal distance I can travel with a 2 inch vent? Also I imagine there should be a slight pitch to the horizontal segment so condescension drains? My situation would be connecting this vent from my sick to another ejector pit vent. Both sides could act as drains. Would be be ok if the horizontal segment had a peak in the middle?

The "under sink" pumps you've referenced do not need a vent as they pump the water directly out of the sink and act as the sewer gas seal for the sink's drain. That would be the best choice in my opinion. But as CT18 said, the video shows the discharge being connected to the overhead sewer in the horizontal. That could cause ongoing problems depending on what is upstream of the connection point and is definitely not best practice. The connection to the sewer line should be vertically from above, or as a minimum 45 degrees off vertical from above.

Now if you choose to use the Zoeller system, a small sump with an internal pump, the sump does need a vent and an AAV is not acceptable. This vent provides air to the sump as the water is pumped out. Without it, the air would have to come through the P-trap and the pumping action would siphon the P-trap to a low level. Being an infrequent use sink, any residual water could evaporate, and you would have an opening to the sump. Granted, the sewer gases would still be sealed from coming out of the sink exactly like the "under sink" pumping system via the Zoeller check valve, but that is not per the design of the Zoeller system and is not an acceptable installation.

Now as you have another sump vent 50 feet away, and if the vent on that sump is properly routed outside, you can connect the new Zoeller sump vent to that vent. The vent line should still be sloped 1/4" per foot towards a drain. Since you would have a drain location at both ends of that 50-foot run, a peak anywhere along it would be acceptable provided you maintain the required slope to each drain from the peak.

Wow. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and logical answer. Everything makes perfect sense and I very much appreciate the time you spend in answering. I am considering my options but likely will run the separate vent line.

Back