Aerobic sprinklers making mud patch

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie492

Reaction score
We had a brand new aerobic system put in last year, March 2019. They installed two sprinklers out front of our yard past a huge oak tree because my in laws sprinklers are on the back part of the property. Last year our yard was still nice and mowable. But since about December, it’s just a huge mud patch now. Why??? We hate it. So bad my husband literally has to use a Kubota tractor with a shredder to cut it and it’s just HORRIBLE. Why is it so wet there now? Our neighbors down the road have their sprinklers in their yard and it’s always nice and mowed and no rust or mud pits at all. We live in south Texas and our soil is the black clay type of that helps.

Attachments

• 149E516F-1D5C-41A5-A9EA-21F404F08D50.jpeg
    149E516F-1D5C-41A5-A9EA-21F404F08D50.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 84DBE79B-4883-41E1-B67E-59B666E214DF.jpeg
    84DBE79B-4883-41E1-B67E-59B666E214DF.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 33005873-D621-459E-9815-00028806F40C.jpeg
    33005873-D621-459E-9815-00028806F40C.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
Have you watched those sprinklers work when that zone is on??? a head or heads could be malfunctioning , the line feeding that area could be broken, 1st st is to watch and see if that zone is working properly

Is that the low point of your yard? If so, all the lines could be draining into that area. If so, an anti siphon sprinkler will stop the collection of water. A quick way to check is if you hear lots of air purging from the line when the sprinklers first come on, the water is draining out, always to the low spot.

Okay, we watched yesterday, sprinklers came on about 5:30pm actually because I was doing laundry all day and hubby did the dishes. Both sprinklers are working just fine. Both had good spray distance and rotated around without stopping. Yes, hubby said this is a low area most likely and pretty flat. What is an anti-siphon sprinkler?

They are identified as "anti-siphon" sprinkler valves. I too had a low spot at my home, which constantly became flooded, so we replaced our sprinkler heads with the anti siphon type, which has an added check valve within it, which keeps the water inside the line rather than draining out.

Okay, we watched yesterday, sprinklers came on about 5:30pm actually because I was doing laundry all day and hubby did the dishes. Both sprinklers are working just fine. Both had good spray distance and rotated around without stopping. Yes, hubby said this is a low area most likely and pretty flat. What is an anti-siphon sprinkler?
This is off the plumbing topic, but I am a master gardener so I wanted to mention that 5:30 pm is not a good time to water your grass. Grass, and most plants, kind of go to sleep at night so the roots are sitting in wet soil all night, not good. The best time to water is in the am before it gets too sunny.

To add, when I water at dusk, I find mushrooms growing in my grass. I set my sprinklers to come on at 0530 AM, so, as said above, it has time to absorb into the roots for a greener grass sans mushrooms.

This is off the plumbing topic, but I am a master gardener so I wanted to mention that 5:30 pm is not a good time to water your grass. Grass, and most plants, kind of go to sleep at night so the roots are sitting in wet soil all night, not good. The best time to water is in the am before it gets too sunny.

This is not a sprinkler system to water plants. Its the sprinkler system to our aerobic septic system to empty out the last tank of just water that is treated with chlorine. They are set to come on in the early hours of the morning most times, unless there is heavier water consumption then they will come on as the tank has more water in it.

Who routed this septic discharge to the low point of the yard? My ex-wife has a similar discharge pipe at her home in Texas, and it was set to dispurse water in the high area of their yard so if will flow downhill with gravity and get absorbed back into the yard.

It was the septic company we hired. But they didn't have a lot really to choose from. We only have 1ac of land that our house sits on the edge in the middle of our in laws 5ac's. And its all flat. I asked hubby if we could make a trench from the low area to the outer edge of the property and run it down the ditch by the county road along the edge of in laws property thats in front of our acre. Not sure if that would be something to do.

If you determine the plumbing fixes suggested here wont work because the problem is actually not plumbing but improper landscape grading there are several landscaping options to fix this. Like I said I am a master gardener and also I am one semester away from a bachelors degree in landscape architecture. since this is not a landscaping forum, maybe it would be best if you message me directly if you are interested. I dont want to upset the administrators by going so off topic.

As an admin here, I'm fine with helping this member right here. What you post could help others with the same issue.

As an admin here, I'm fine with helping this member right here. What you post could help others with the same issue.
Thanks, I will post my suggestions tomorrow.That is if the OP is interested.

So let me see if I understand this. I did a bit of a search on "aerobic sprinklers" and found mostly commercial information from folks in the business (must be a Texas thing since most seem to serve that area) as opposed to technical information. So, what I seemed to get is:

Either in place of a below ground drainfield for a septic tank system, OR to augment such a thing, the effluent water in the final tank is treated, and then sprayed via sprinklers on top of the ground, do I have that right in my understanding?

Whether you spray the water on top, or let it flow to a drainfield under the surface, the water still has to "perk" or percolate through the soil and be absorbed. If it's all wet, the ground isn't absorbing enough due to some of the factors here (low spot already taking on water) or just bad soil?

Interesting topic. Purple headed sprinklers; you learn something new every day.

New drainfields in the area in Michigan I once came from are now required to be "above grade"; so they lay the drainfield on top of grade, then put a mound on top of the drain pipes. Yes, it's quite peculiar to see all these mounds in front of folks homes; it's the drainfield above grade. Makes mowing a challenge!

So let me see if I understand this. I did a bit of a search on "aerobic sprinklers" and found mostly commercial information from folks in the business (must be a Texas thing since most seem to serve that area) as opposed to technical information. So, what I seemed to get is:

Either in place of a below ground drainfield for a septic tank system, OR to augment such a thing, the effluent water in the final tank is treated, and then sprayed via sprinklers on top of the ground, do I have that right in my understanding?

Whether you spray the water on top, or let it flow to a drainfield under the surface, the water still has to "perk" or percolate through the soil and be absorbed. If it's all wet, the ground isn't absorbing enough due to some of the factors here (low spot already taking on water) or just bad soil?

New drainfields in the area in Michigan I once came from are now required to be "above grade"; so they lay the drainfield on top of grade, then put a mound on top of the drain pipes. Yes, it's quite peculiar to see all these mounds in front of folks homes; it's the drainfield above grade. Makes mowing a challenge!
If this is the case making a trench to reroute the water to the streets drainage ditch (as the OP is contemplating) would be a bad idea, environmentally speaking. It is necessary for the water to percolate in the soil filtering out all the ick. Even though it is being treated before it is released at the very least it still has chlorine in it. If it does not go through the natural filters of the soil, you have contaminated water making its way into our streams and rivers.
I am waiting for the OP to tell me if she is interested in the landscaping options. It will take some time for me to put that info together, which I am more than happy to do, if the advice is wanted.

Ponding of water around the sprinklers can be a symptom of clay soil if it's being overloaded, as in too much water is being sprayed out too often for it to dry out. If this has been a constant issue for several months, however, it's more likely a landscaping issue, as others have pointed out, especially if neighbors have the same kind of soil but don't have ponding. Does your washing machine drain into the system? I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics at the moment, but Texas allows for graywater to be discharged directly onto the yard using a flexible hose, unless your particular jurisdiction prohibits that. This would help reduce the amount of water going into the system and should decrease how often the sprinklers go off, especially if you do laundry often.

The rest of my post provides additional information about this particular type of system, mostly in response to Mitchell-DIY-Guy's research into the topic, for anyone that's interested.

In my area of north Texas, aerobic treatment units (ATU) with spray distribution are fairly common because we have a lot of clay soil. Clay does not drain well. You can put lateral lines in clay but you need more line to spread out the effluent over a larger area and the effluent has to be released in doses throughout the day so the soil doesn't get overloaded. At that point it is often cheaper to install an ATU and a couple of sprinkler lines. How much space you have is also a factor, which can explain why some properties with better draining sandy/loamy soil have ATUs because they don't have the room for lateral lines.

The idea of a properly functioning ATU is that it's basically a miniature wastewater treatment plant. It includes sedimentation/anaerobic digestion, aeration/aerobic digestion, clarification, sludge recirculation, and disinfection. The effluent coming out of the sprinklers should be chlorinated. There's much debate about the effectiveness of various chlorinators, and chlorine tabs versus liquid chlorine and how well any of it actually works. Any manufacturer of such products will, of course, tell you their product is superior. Some aerobic system manufacturers even claim (or have claimed in the past) that the effluent out of their system will be so clean you can drink it.

Part of the disinfection process supposedly also can involve UV light from the sun, so water on the ground in the sunlight will be further treated before it infiltrates the soil. Obviously water in the shade or at night won't receive this benefit. One of the advantages of spraying the effluent on the surface when you have clay soil is that some of the water will (should) evapotranspirate before it infiltrates further into the soil, thus reducing the hydraulic load of the clay soil.

Yes, we have purple headed sprinklers too I believe, I'll have to go back out to look to double check. Yes, the treated water(with chlorine) is the last tank and it gets sprayed out on top of our ground with the two sprinklers that pop up. We have hard black clay for soil so any water, even rain, takes a really long time to absorb when its wet.

Sorry I haven't been back til now. Yes, I would be interested in hearing what your suggestions would be. Thanks!

If this is the case making a trench to reroute the water to the streets drainage ditch (as the OP is contemplating) would be a bad idea, environmentally speaking. It is necessary for the water to percolate in the soil filtering out all the ick. Even though it is being treated before it is released at the very least it still has chlorine in it. If it does not go through the natural filters of the soil, you have contaminated water making its way into our streams and rivers.
I am waiting for the OP to tell me if she is interested in the landscaping options. It will take some time for me to put that info together, which I am more than happy to do, if the advice is wanted.

Yes, washing machine drains into the system as well. We had a front loader until this weekend. It went out so we bought a top loader that fills completely for each wash..that means a lot more water now. I told hubby we need to have someone come out and I want the washer drain line to not disperse into the septic anymore being we are a family of 5 and the three kids(22, 20 and 15) do their own laundry..meaning that washer will be use 4-5 days a week between us all. Thats way too much water daily to be going into the system. And yes...clay soil.

Ponding of water around the sprinklers can be a symptom of clay soil if it's being overloaded, as in too much water is being sprayed out too often for it to dry out. If this has been a constant issue for several months, however, it's more likely a landscaping issue, as others have pointed out, especially if neighbors have the same kind of soil but don't have ponding. Does your washing machine drain into the system? I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics at the moment, but Texas allows for graywater to be discharged directly onto the yard using a flexible hose, unless your particular jurisdiction prohibits that. This would help reduce the amount of water going into the system and should decrease how often the sprinklers go off, especially if you do laundry often.

The rest of my post provides additional information about this particular type of system, mostly in response to Mitchell-DIY-Guy's research into the topic, for anyone that's interested.

In my area of north Texas, aerobic treatment units (ATU) with spray distribution are fairly common because we have a lot of clay soil. Clay does not drain well. You can put lateral lines in clay but you need more line to spread out the effluent over a larger area and the effluent has to be released in doses throughout the day so the soil doesn't get overloaded. At that point it is often cheaper to install an ATU and a couple of sprinkler lines. How much space you have is also a factor, which can explain why some properties with better draining sandy/loamy soil have ATUs because they don't have the room for lateral lines.

The idea of a properly functioning ATU is that it's basically a miniature wastewater treatment plant. It includes sedimentation/anaerobic digestion, aeration/aerobic digestion, clarification, sludge recirculation, and disinfection. The effluent coming out of the sprinklers should be chlorinated. There's much debate about the effectiveness of various chlorinators, and chlorine tabs versus liquid chlorine and how well any of it actually works. Any manufacturer of such products will, of course, tell you their product is superior. Some aerobic system manufacturers even claim (or have claimed in the past) that the effluent out of their system will be so clean you can drink it.

Part of the disinfection process supposedly also can involve UV light from the sun, so water on the ground in the sunlight will be further treated before it infiltrates the soil. Obviously water in the shade or at night won't receive this benefit. One of the advantages of spraying the effluent on the surface when you have clay soil is that some of the water will (should) evapotranspirate before it infiltrates further into the soil, thus reducing the hydraulic load of the clay soil.

Back