Aerobic Sprayers Run Often After Heavy Rain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxarch

Reaction score
I have a new to me house that is 4 years old this year. This is my first experience with an aerobic system.

We have had some heavy rains recently. After the rain, my sprayers run a lot and often. I have checked the house for any leaking toilets and have not found any. The water softener has a digital flow gauge and water use on it. I have checked it and the gallons displayed does not change. I have also shut off the ball valve between the well pressure tank and the water softener and the spray field still goes off multiple times per day. This only happens after it rains.

So I am thinking that rain water is getting into the septic tanks. All the covers for the tanks are above the ground enough where even if the covers were off, they shouldn't get runoff water. Is there some other way the water could get in the tanks normally? There is no drain field, only a spray field. Could this be evidence that the tank is damaged and water is getting into the tank that way?

Last edited:
It does sound like water is leaking into the tank somehow. The tank itself should be fine if it's only 4 years old, unless someone drove over it with something quite heavy, perhaps.

It may be that one or more of the risers are cracked, or not properly sealed against the tank. How many covers do you have? Not all of the ports on the top of the tank may have risers on them so there could be some ports buried and may have a loose or cracked plug. Do you have a maintenance contract for the system? Is there a maintenance provider in your area you could call?

This only happens when there is a lot of rain. The rest of the time it works as it should. There are 4 risers and all are 2-3" above the ground. Most of the rain drainage does go over the tanks, but it would be impossible for the water to go above the riser covers.
The previous owner had a maintenance contract and I have their information. I do not have a maintenance contract.

Back