Aerobic septic tank overflowing barely drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an aerobic septic system that Is currently full to top cover, it bubbles out from underneath the septic cover onto the ground. I noticed when I unplugged my aerator that the water level went down somewhat but not nearly enough to prevent backing up the toilets inside.
I noticed that my drain from the septic tank into the nearby ditch is barely draining almost like a trickle. What would cause this? As I had never had any problems with it draining. I have opened the tank but cannot locate baffles as the level is high.

what? , drain from the septic tank into the nearby ditch , it is supposed to go to a weeping field. I would bring in a honey dipper and empty the tank. could be grease, something broken. when was the last time you had it pumped out?

Wait until the EPA hears about this and the other 500,000 ditches full of sewage in Louisiana. 🤓 It’s probably how they do things there for their soil conditions.
I have no DIY advice for the OP’s described problem.

Ok I think I will have it pumped and flushed out, it’s clogged somewhere I cannot see due to water level being so high. It constantly rains here and this has levels high again.

Wait until the EPA hears about this and the other 500,000 ditches full of sewage in Louisiana. 🤓 It’s probably how they do things there for their soil conditions.
I have no DIY advice for the OP’s described problem.
Idk I guess that’s how done here, I’ve searched for a drainfield but it drains to a ditch about 100ft away.

Last edited:
Your outlet may be blocked or clogged.

no real DIY that I could recommend until it’s drained down. Have it pumped.

I'm a little confused about the responses. Don't septic systems in your area have lateral lines? Those can become clogged with roots or filled with debris causing this issue.

I'm a little confused about the responses. Don't septic systems in your area have lateral lines?

Some do have drain fields here but not my house for some reason. I talked to my neighbor and dad about it and they said that setup was common here as long as the septic has an aerator installed. Waiting on the pump truck.

I'm a little confused about the responses. Don't septic systems in your area have lateral lines?

Some do have drain fields here but not my house for some reason. I talked to my neighbor and dad about it and they said that setup was common here as long as the septic has an aerator installed. Waiting on the pump truck.

It’s not common here, if allowed at all. If your outlet is stopped up then you’ll need to clear that line....... As a plumber in my area we don’t work on septic tanks or their outlet.

My work technically stops at the inlet.

When I hear of sewage dumping into a ditch, I think 3rd world country, not a real septic system in the US.

Ok guys the tank is down now it didn’t need to pumped, it was a clog full of hay/grass and two broken pipes. I’ve posted pics here to show where it was. The septic tank is just to the right but not in the picture and the clog was between both inspection/access points. I think one is for chlorine I’m not sure though.
As you can see in the picture both points are damaged so I will have to replace them.

Attachments

• 4C5F2DE6-7CC8-4369-B1EB-DC3C6E22DA95.jpeg
    4C5F2DE6-7CC8-4369-B1EB-DC3C6E22DA95.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 1405F246-C16F-49DF-941A-15C7ED184629.jpeg
    1405F246-C16F-49DF-941A-15C7ED184629.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 2EAAD89E-DE80-44E5-BC01-D8798D37F57F.jpeg
    2EAAD89E-DE80-44E5-BC01-D8798D37F57F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back