Aerator adapter help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgoldfe13

Reaction score
Assistance finding a Aerator adaptor.

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask this. But, I bought a PUR faucet filter. Our faucet has a recessed aerator. When I unscrew the part with the plastic aerator in it. The part that screws into the main faucet stem is about the size of a penny. The end that screws into the filter is the size of a nickel.

I need an adapter that has the penny size on one end and the nickel size on the other. Do these exist? Thanks. I am not sure what sizes these are called and all I have been able to find are terms like Junior, tiny junior, tom thumb. But, when I search for an adapter, I get fraction sizes and I can't figure this one out. ThankS. 972EE210-E81C-41C3-AAD6-14DE64FC7DD6.jpeg
A15059A9-9006-4612-8483-60E7A025EE50.jpeg
E4391CCE-9708-4912-A66D-40A15E5BEEAC.jpegF2DE9702-9075-4911-A58E-1EA6D2784219.jpeg

I am pretty sure you should be able to find that adapter at a good hardware store, but STOP.
Those little PUR type filters do not have enough contact time with the charcoal filter media to do hardly any filtering.
What you need for good filtering in California public systems is a larger bed of charcoal of the type found in under-counter set ups. The cheapest effective that I know of are the two stage Aquasana. You don't need the three stage on our public water supply.
Your area, like mine here in N.Calif/SF Bay area, uses chloramine, which is tough to filter with short contact time on activated charcoal and will not be filtered at all with what you bought.
The chloramine breaks down to result in trihalomethanes and large size charcoal filter also filters those.

Latest posts

Back