Advise on Planning New Septic System

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoshi

Reaction score
We have a few acres in a rural location and will be building a small home and maybe a guest house in the near future. We are looking for advice on:
1. what are the components of a septic system ?
2. how to hire a good septic installer ?
3. what are the costs involved ?
4. sizing the system ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

James,
Thanks for your explanation and section view of the typical septic tank. Tour comments on how to hire a septic installer is the best I have seen. I have left messages with a few companies in the area and only one responded. My location is remote so that is a factor.

Question-1: at what point do I need to get the Health Department involved?
Question-2: should I get the septic field installed before or after the new home is built? I'm planning on building a 900 SF guest house first and maybe a larger house at a later date.

hoshi,

I recently had to have my septic tank system overhauled (replaced the tank and the field lines) so I have learned a little bit about the procedures.

The first thing you need to do is contact your local Department of Health/Sanitation (whatever it is called in your area). Speak with a health inspector and he/she should give you a list of things to do along with the paperwork explaining about the sewage systems, field lines, etc. My health inspector also gave me a list of licensed installers. It had their license numbers, location, things they were approved to work on, and phone numbers. Also available via independent research online was a list of people who had violated the rules and what the violations were. None of the people I called had recent violations.

Something I forgot to mention: You will need proof of ownership of the property on which you want to install the septic system.. You can either show them the title or you can go to the tax assessor's office for your jurisdiction to get them to print out the info about your property and ownership. It will include the size of the property and location.

This site helps you find the website for the Dept of Health in various areas.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/international/relres.html

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Prior to even looking for an installer, I had to talk to the health inspector about what size tank and field line I would need.

Generally the size of the tank is based on how many rooms the house has (or an estimate of how many gallons of sewage will be processed in a day). For a 3 room home I was advised to get a 1,000gallon tank. So, you need to be able to tell the inspector how many rooms/occupants you expect to have on a regular basis so the amount of sewage output can be determined.

http://www.vdwws.com/faqs/standard-septic-system/ has some info (but it does depend on the rules in your area).

Once the septic tank size has been determined, you will need to do a percolation test on the soil in the area in which you plan to put the leach field. The test may vary depending on your area, but I had to dig some 2ft deep holes that were at least 8 inches wide and fill them with 5 gallons of water the day before the inspector came out. He came out and measured to see how much water was left (if any) and then poured 5 gallons into each hole and came back an hour later to check. From this he determined the perc rate of the soil. This affects how much and what type of leach field you can have.

There are restrictions on leach fields:
They have to be a certain distance away from the property line so that any contaminated soil is not leaching out of your property. They have to be at least 50 feet away from your water source (if you have well water).
The ground cannot have too much of an incline. The lines can't drop more than 12 inches in a 100 foot run.
Lines cannot be more than 100ft in length per run.
If you need to have more than one line, you use a distribution box.

Depending you your soil and such, you may decide to get a mechanical system. Make sure the person you choose is licensed for mechanical systems. If you want one that is non-mechanical, make sure he's licensed for nonmenchanical.
Most of the septic system installers are NOT licensed to do the full plumbing in your house so all they will be able to do is hook it to the existing outlet from the house once a licensed plumber has installed everything.

The septic tank needs to be a minimum of 10 feet from the house (at least in my area that was the rule-- it might be more or less in your area). So when planning out your plumbing system, make sure you plan for that.

Ideally, the installer will do an elevation check and figure out the best place to put the field lines. Keep in mind that the length the inspector will recommend for field line will be based on the pipe and gravel system. If you go with something like Infiltrator Systems it can be shorter. The installer will draw up a plan and send it to the inspector. The inspector will then either approve or reject it. If it is approved, the inspector will issue a permit.

Now, in my case, I was issued a temporary permit (sort of a pre-permit) that I had to show to the potential installers (or read the number out on for them over the phone) after the percolation test. The permit detailed where the lines could be, what size tank could be used, and how much field line needed to be put down. I needed 1,000 gallon and 300ft of line. It ended up being 200ft of Infiltrator system segments.

Things will have to be arranged so that the inspector can come out on the same day as the installation (check local weather forecasts to make sure it isn't supposed to rain). The installer should bring a backhoe to dig the trenches for the field lines as well as the hole for the septic tank. You will want to avoid areas with large trees as the roots can interfere.

Infiltrator segments are 4ft long and 2ft wide. The segments themselves are around $20 each and then there are the end caps that are probably around $15. Apparently in some jurisdictions, the homeowners are allowed to install the infiltrator systems themselves so long as they do it properly and the inspector says it is ok. Your installer will have to be the one to install the tank and hook up the systems to the tank.

My installation ended up costing around $3,400 (not including the cost of having my existing tank drained and removed). I was quoted up to $4,000 for the install by some. I think it depends on the soil type. Too sandy and the soil might collapse. Too rocky and it is hard to dig. Mine was sandy loam that was easy to dig but after a certain point they were afraid they were going to hit water as the sand got whiter.

Anyway, if you want help from people here in the planning, we will need to know the size and shape of the property (perhaps you can provide a sketch?), where the house will be, where any water supply will be, and where you expect to be driving. It is best to NOT drive over the field line as it can compress the soil and decrease the efficiency (or even break the lines). Infiltrator systems can support a small tractor but only if the tractor drives across rather than along it. It has to be covered in 12" of dirt (which is the max amount of coverage allowed on top).

You can plant small shrugs with roots that are not too pervasive somewhat near the field lines and they can actually help to absorb some of the water and make the soil percolate better.

infiltratorhouse.jpg

This site has some info on septic systems (I believe it is particularly marketing infiltrator systems).
https://www.thenaturalhome.com/septic.html

Another resource:
http://www.edcgov.us/Government/EMD/EnvironmentalHealth/Homeowner_Manual_Septic_Tanks.aspx

Are you planning to have a water well installed to provide water too? If so, I have a few suggestions on that front.

Please keep us apprised of your progress.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I forgot to address some of the questions: Depending on where you live, contacting the health department may be the first thing you need to do in order to get the process rolling. Some contractors will want to know about your permit and if you have one before they even look at things.

I recommend at least finding out where you can put the field lines before having the plumbing in the house finalized. You will need to decide which side of the house the line will come out of to enter the septic tank. Elevation is important. If you are having landscaping done, you might want to go ahead and have the potential leach field areas leveled (but not compacted).

There are different types of leach field systems. The old kind that I used to have is pipe and gravel. It involves long 4" thick PVC with holes in the bottom and should have gravel underneath to help the water drain faster (if necessary). This can be expensive as you will have to pay for the digging, the gravel, and the pipe. In some cases you will have to pay for the extra labor involved in laying the gravel and the pipe. My contractor charged per linear foot for digging with his backhoe.

Another type is a mechanical system that helps to push the water along. There are also other effluent reduction systems that help to filter the water. In some cases a type of cloth is put under the pipe.

I admit that I don't know much about the other systems as I went with a non-mechanical Infiltrator system. Instead of pipe, its 4' segments with an open bottom. They snap together with no need for glue and can pivot and go in a wavy pattern or create a semicircle so the path you choose does not have to be straight.

I would suggest having the planning done ahead of time but having the actual installation done after the rest of the labor so you don't have to worry about heavy trucks running over your leach field and crushing things. You can talk to the health inspector and ask for a temporary permit that will not expire or have him date it to a specific time. If you are not yet ready for the permit, you can at least find out how much line you need and where it can be placed and what size tank you will need so you can plan ahead. The septic tank will need to be placed in an area that is easily accessible for the sewage sucking truck. The truck is large and very heavy. You do not want to have it driving over your leach lines or parking on top of them.

Zanne,
Wow, that's a tremendous amount of information. Thanks for the details about dealing with the authorities and the technical aspects as well. My site is flat and has no trees, so that makes it easier. My background is in architecture, so i have designed a small guest house as phase one (900 SF). I'll talk to the Env. Dept out here in NM and then the county building dept. It's always better to get them involved early. I hope to trench and run utilities about 500' to my building site this summer. Then, finalize my permits and pour a slab in the fall. Hopefully I can get a crew of friends to frame the exterior and get it buttoned up before winter. My design is based on a simple / easy to build system that will allow interior partitions to be constructed at a later date. Two bedrooms, two baths, kitchen and family room. South-side sunspace to be added later. I'll keep you up to date. May even shoot some video of the progress.

Ooh, you're in New Mexico? We almost moved there but the house we wanted to buy turned out to be in the middle of Mexican cartel area and was not safe. It was the place where a FedEx driver was murdered so they could hijack his truck. You may have heard of the Meadow Lake neighborhood in Los Lunas.

My sister is in Albuquerque so we go visit her about once per year.

I will say that even if the ground looks flat, it can have slope and you might not even notice. I found that out the hard way.

I've since been told that the contractor for the septic tank should be the one pulling the permits and such, but I'm a hands-on type person and I've been burned in the past and wanted to make sure it was actually done and that things were done properly.

I'd love to see the progress of the build. I have a fascination with architecture but never went to a college that had any classes on it. Have you ever used Google Sketchup? It can let you do 2D drawings that are measured in inches and then turn them in to 3D shapes that let you adjust the height in inches of the walls and such.

Planning the plumbing locations out inside the home ahead of time can help save you some headaches later on. I've seen some new construction where they shape the shower pans while building the slab.

Since it sounds like you are in a sunny area, it might be a good idea to get solar paneling. I wish I had solar paneling. My power has gone out twice within the past week. Since we are on a well system, there is no running water when the power goes out.

So, if you are having a well built, I highly recommend having a setup where you can have a nearby building for a backup generator that can ventilate well. Probably best to get one that automatically starts itself from time to time and make sure that it has enough gas. If you don't start it every once in awhile the battery dies and it won't start. Found that out the hard way.

For the pump/well house I suggest having it large enough to walk around in, installing a water softener to clean hard water, and having separate shutoffs for hot water and cold water as well as separate shutoffs for the house and any outlying buildings. Have it insulated to keep your water from freezing during the cold. We got a little metal structure that has a short doorway so I bump my head on it sometimes, the cow leaned against it so the side broke apart and bent inward. Horse leaned on the door so only one opens... It's hard to move around inside. Tenants messed with the pipes so it no longer has a shutoff for hot water separate from cold. Before the tampering it had a nice setup. If there was a leak at the barn we could shut it off. If there was a leak in the west field, we could shut that off. And there's another shutoff for the main supply to everything. You will also want some air circulation to keep the pump from overheating.

LOL. Now I'm excited and its not even my project. I would love to see your progress.

hoshi, I did some googling and I read that it costs between $2,000 to $3,500 to get an average septic system installed-- although some people have reported paying as much as $5,000.

A well system apparently costs around the same.

This site had some info on building in NM http://www.qualprop.com/lands/faq.html

I think if you have well knowledge about it and any company eager to do it, you should not get the Health Department involved. Otherwise you can get the Health Department involved. I think you should install the septic tank later.

Did I mention how much I hate spammers and how dumb they sound? :cool:

Did I mention how much I hate spammers and how dumb they sound? :cool:

LOL. I missed that one. It was a dumb comment. Especially since it suggested NOT getting the health department involved. I mean, that is pretty much a requirement in order to get the proper permits.

Hi Hoshi, here's a great blog that gives simple step by step guide with photos on how to build a septic tank: xxxxxxxxxxx

That tank is wrong for many reasons.
The number one reason is septic tanks are required to watertight & that tank is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back