Adjusting Shower water valve cartridge? Unknown brand

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelmsReef

Reaction score
Since I purchased my home 3 years ago (new Construction) my master shower (Moen) has a separate control for adjusting the water temp. It doesn't get hot enough even though the sink right next to it reaches 120F. I removed the control lever which exposes the valve but I have tried everything to see if there is an adjustment but cannot figure out how to get the valve to allow more hot water through it. Attached is a picture. Most cartridges have a plastic adjustment piece. This one does not. I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
It is a Moen ExactTemp thermostatic cartridge. You should have a separate volume control. The factory stop is 105* at the 12 o’clock position, to get it hotter you push the handle in and turn counter clockwise. If it still doesn’t get hot enough it may need recalibrated or replaced. It will not get hotter than 120*. Installation instructions

It is a Moen ExactTemp thermostatic cartridge. You should have a separate volume control. The factory stop is 105* at the 12 o’clock position, to get it hotter you push the handle in and turn counter clockwise. If it still doesn’t get hot enough it may need recalibrated or replaced. It will not get hotter than 120*. Installation instructions
Thank you so much. I'll try this later tonight. The instructions you attached are very helpful.

So, I've tried everything. My neighbors tried on theirs and still these cartridges suck. Does anyone know of a replacement that doesn't have the temp limit? I just want a cartridge that as you turn it more or less the temp goes up/down. No antiscald feature.

So, I've tried everything. My neighbors tried on theirs and still these cartridges suck. Does anyone know of a replacement that doesn't have the temp limit? I just want a cartridge that as you turn it more or less the temp goes up/down. No antiscald feature.
Call moen.

Change the cartridge, which might have gone bad.

Also, the service stop (built in shutoff valve) for the hot side (left) might not be fully open.

You can turn the screw with a flat screwdriver to see if it gets better or worse as you turn it.

Or you can slightly close the cold side.

For a whole new valve, you are talking major work and tile repair, unless you have access from behind.

Latest posts

Back