Adjusting a Square D pump control switch

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarg

Reaction score
I just found these instructions on a Ehow website. Could folks confirm if they are "backasswards".
I thought the adjustments were just the opposite on the smaller post

Step 3
Turn the nut counterclockwise with a nut driver to reduce the total range of pressure provided by the regulator.

Step 4
Locate the small nut and spring on the regulator. Turn the nut clockwise with a nut driver to reduce the difference between the "cut in" and "cut out" pressures.

Step 5
Turn the nut counterclockwise to increase the difference.

Yeah those are bassackwards.

Let me make it easy for you. Don't mess with the small adjustment screw. The small screw only adjust the differential, and it you leave it alone the differential will stay about 20 PSI. Just tighten the large adjustment screw one full turn for each 3 PSI you want to increase the pressure or loosen it to lower the pressure. Throw those other instructions away, they are just confusing.

My concern is that my demonstrated range on the pressure gauge is 30 psi .............. from 30 to a little over 60 ..... and I can't simply drop the the whole "range" because my fiberglass pressure tank ( that is buried in the wall again ) is set at 27 psi.
I'm hoping that 60 to 65 psi top setting isn't detrimental ......... They sell preset switches at 40/60

Just loosen the small adjustment screw all the way out and you will have 17-20 PSI between on and off. Then tighten or loosen the large adjustment screw so that it shuts off at 60 as you want. You really need to put about 35-38 PSI air in the tank. But it won't hurt much to run with just 27 PSI air. However, you will probably need to add air soon as those fiberglass tanks are not known to go very long without needing some air. Buried tanks are a pain. You should look into doing away with the buried tank and use a PK1A kit from Cycle Stop Valves. With a CSV you only need a 4.5 gallon size tank that will fit almost anywhere so it doesn't need to be buried.

Just a follow-up for closure ....... Today I noted the switch shut off was above the 60 psi mark and seemed to be climbing over time when it cycled ........... So .... I decided to go ahead and change out the pressure switch. Took about an hour and our pressure settings are restored to the 30/50 we've had for the last 40 years. I had the switch on hand because I'm putting together an all new assembly on the new medium sized 30 gal heater in the garage for installation next spring. Also new pressure tank with all new fittings.

Latest posts

Back