Additional drain connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmitri

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am making few changes to my basement bathroom, and want to add an additional ABS pipe which would connect and drain into existing plumbing lines. As I started working on it, I cut out the drywall but got a bit confused by the existing plumbing setup. Please see the picture attached - there is a main 1.5 inch ABS pipe going down from the main floor, which gets converted into a 2 inch ABS pipe after the bathroom sink connection, and then goes into the basement floor. I am confused by the 1.5 inch ABS pipe which branches out to the left from the main line in the top of the picture, does not have have anything draining into it, makes few turns and then goes into the basement floor too (I also removed some concrete at the point where both pipes go into the basement floor and it does NOT seem that the branch 1.5 ABS pipe connects back to the main 2 inch ABS pipe, at least at the point where both of them go into the basement floor).

I want to add an ABS pipe which would drain into this branch 1.5 ABS pipe - please see the picture as everything is marked there - but wanted to make sure that this branch pipe does not serve any special purpose, and that won't screw anything up. I read online about air venting and thought that perhaps this 1.5 branch ABS pipe was added to vent the system?

Attachments

• kmGPFxOIRte76ipxu0fnyg_thumb_2796.jpg
    kmGPFxOIRte76ipxu0fnyg_thumb_2796.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 19
Actually I traced the 1.5 inch ABS pipe which was "going down from the main floor" and I was wrong... That pipe goes up another 4-5 inches and then is terminated with an air vent. If I understand it correctly - the branch 1.5 inch ABS pipe on the left allows the drain "to breathe" and therefore I shouldn't be attaching an additional drain line to it.

Back