Adding Toilet and Sink to Basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We live in a pretty basic bungalow home with only one bathroom. I want to install a basement toilet and sink. As there is a utility sink I the basement, the most important part is the toilet. The space s super tight, so any horizontal bends would make it near impossible. I am trying to avoid bends and line up a perfect straight shot.

I made a diagram of plumbing for the house and added a few photos. The only place I think a toilet would physically fit is about 8 feet from the 4" Clean Out cap. This cap is 10" on center off the ground. I have the ability to completely do the plumbing and then recreate the wall as it's just a basement retreat, so not real construction constraints beyond just a small amount of space.
Here are things I wonder about, but I bet there’s more I haven’t even considered so appreciate any advice. Also I have zero ego here, so feel free to let me know I am crazy or likely to destroy our house.

1. Can I tie the toiler directly into the drain pipe at the clean out cap?
  2. If I can tie in that way, do I need to make another clean out cap? I may not have the space to do this if clean out caps have to be at the very end of a run (please excuse my ignorance)
  3. Based on the plumbing diagram, do I need to vent this toilet, or would the existing vent suffice?
  4. If I do need to vent, can a vent be done near ground level? I do have access to a discrete exterior wall where this could go.
  5. Does the toilet outlet need to be higher or level with the drain pipe?
  6. Would a rear discharge floor mount toilet do the trick better so I don’t have to have a tower like throne?
  7. If I do a sink, where do I drain it? There is an unused capped 2” tee (I think that’s the word) into the drain pipe I think I could use.
  8. Wall mount toilets look like a hassle, but seem to afford the ability to make that straight shot into the drain pipe, but sometimes I see them on craigslist. Should I avoid like the plague?

Thanks again for any advice! Andy

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 10.12.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 10.56.28 AM.png

IMG_8808.JPG

Yes your sanitary needs to be below the toilet unless you get a pumped set up, like saniflo. Does the sewer line go down below the basement floor over in the corner
Hi CT - thanks for your reply. Yes it eventually goes down into the floor near the street side. I hope to remove that end cap, thread on an extension with a Y joiner to tie into the sanitary. This way I still have my cleanup accessible (admittedly 6 feet in front of the last toilet if that's ok).
Do you happen to know if this would be considered properly vented? Thanks for any advice or insights!

Latest posts

Back