Adding Standpipe to Existing Utility Tub line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RW22281

Reaction score
Hello, I have an existing utility tub and previously drained my washing machine direct into the utility tub. I would like to add in a washing machine standpipe in addition to the utility tub, but I am unsure about how to design. I thought about either of the designs within the attached (A and B), but I am concerned these designs will lead to sucking the trap dry. I believe tapping into the trap and running a separate line is probably the "best" design, but is there a design solution where I can maintain a single arm and avoid having to bust out the wall?

Attachments

• 20200810_113611.jpg
    20200810_113611.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
This is what i ended up going with...no floods yet! *knock on wood* Note: i just shoved a pipe in there for a better picture, but the one sticking straiggt out elbows up 90 degress and the tailpipe connects to utility sink drain in final version.20200819_185301.jpg

I'm sure others will weigh in here, but I think that the air vent needs to be higher...?? Higher than the sink? We can't see the height of the sink here...

If it works, great. Personally I would have made the standpipe out of 1.5" PVC, not the 1.25" stuff. Sometimes that water can come out of a washing machine at high velocity and volume, and just hope that the 1.25" is sufficient...

And that 1-1/2" tubular stuff is going to blow apart.

Latest posts

Back