Adding on over part of water main - replace the whole main?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Duff

Reaction score
I started another thread about potential supply line sizing issues since we may be adding another bathroom. One of the replies mentioned a separate hot water heater for their addition, and that made me realize...

Our addition is going right over part of our main line into the house. I’m going to guess that there is about 70’ of galvanized pipe between the meter and where it enters my basement. I don’t know the size of the supply line, but if memory serves I want to say the OD is a little over 1.5”? I can caliper it when I get home though.

My question is - since we will be building over a portion of the line and it’s old galvanized pipe, should I just replace the whole run? What type of pipe is used instead of galvanized now for running main lines?

And, if I’m going to do that, would it be better to just branch off of my new supply line and have a separate line in and hot water heater for the added master bath?

Thanks for your guys’ help!

So if I’m digging down to replace the line anyway, should I go ahead and branch off of the main line, since it will be directly over the addition?

I could then just have a separate water heater for the master bath and not have to worry about replacing any existing 3/4” pex with 1”?

So if I’m digging down to replace the line anyway, should I go ahead and branch off of the main line, since it will be directly over the addition?

I could then just have a separate water heater for the master bath and not have to worry about replacing any existing 3/4” pex with 1”?
would replace all galvi and use the correct size for the added bath

would replace all galvi and use the correct size for the added bath
Right, but in the process of replacing all the galvanized pipe should I branch off of the main for a separate supply line for the addition?

First is the a connection to a water system, or to a well?

I would recommend that you install a pex run to the house, with a shutoff outside.

And, depending on what you mean by building the new addition over. The water line, I might recommend a sleeve around the line as it runs under the addition, so that when it breaks, you can access it for replacement without having to tear things up.

I’m getting ready to install a new feed from teh city water to my house to replace a fifty year old 3/4-inch galvanized steel line that has sever interior chancer.

The new service line will be a 3/4 PEX line installed in a 1-1/4-inch poly line sleeve. After I get the new line installed, I am going to install a concrete driveway over it. So, I want a way to service the new line, if I need to, without demoing the concrete driveway. It will add about $100 to the project now. but gives me a great deal of confidence on the ability to repair things in the future.

The connection is to a water system. I hadn’t thought of running a sleeve underneath, but that’s a great idea!

Would you recommend I tee off of the new water line (portion that would be under the addition) to service the new master bath (and separate hot water heater)? This would help avoid redoing any of the new pex I put in a year ago.

First is the a connection to a water system, or to a well?

I would recommend that you install a pex run to the house, with a shutoff outside.

And, depending on what you mean by building the new addition over. The water line, I might recommend a sleeve around the line as it runs under the addition, so that when it breaks, you can access it for replacement without having to tear things up.

I’m getting ready to install a new feed from teh city water to my house to replace a fifty year old 3/4-inch galvanized steel line that has sever interior chancer.

The new service line will be a 3/4 PEX line installed in a 1-1/4-inch poly line sleeve. After I get the new line installed, I am going to install a concrete driveway over it. So, I want a way to service the new line, if I need to, without demoing the concrete driveway. It will add about $100 to the project now. but gives me a great deal of confidence on the ability to repair things in the future.

Back