Adding Floor Drain, Existing Setup?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew S

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking to add a floor drain to my basement setup. Currently, the room has a concrete floor with a square capped pvc plug. After some research, I've found it be a sewer cleanout. Now, I am far from a mechanic so please simplify your answers lol.

But is there a way to either convert or add a drain? A "y" hookup perchance? Would I need a p trap for gasses? Only planning on using once weekly, for aquarium cleanings. Thanks in advance!

Pardon my ignorance but could I expect any negative effects from approaching it that way? Either in smells, inhalation, back up, ect.

Furthermore, if I wanted to put the work in and add a drain what would my approach be? I ask because I'll need to dehumidify the room and just running a hose to the floor would be easier than carrying buckets. I appreciate it.

Just undo the plug and dump water down it when you need to.
Adding a floor drain is MUCH more work then you would ever consider.

Pardon my ignorance but could I expect any negative effects from approaching it that way? Either in smells, inhalation, back up, ect.

Furthermore, if I wanted to put the work in and add a drain what would my approach be? I ask because I'll need to dehumidify the room and just running a hose to the floor would be easier than carrying buckets. I appreciate it.
if you gonna use it for your dehumidifier you could not leave it open...if you have a sink or laundry drain it has to be trapped and vented if your gonna just use it foryour fish tank once a week you would use it then close it back up

if you gonna use it for your dehumidifier you could not leave it open...if you have a sink or laundry drain it has to be trapped and vented if your gonna just use it foryour fish tank once a week you would use it then close it back up
I have my dehumidifier dripping into my sump pit that's another way you could do it

So may we assume that you do not have any exposed sanitary piping ABOVE the slab?
Chances are that you could have something dropping down from above that goes into the slab. If that was the case you could consider adding to that for trapped drain, similar to a clothes washer standpipe.

If you wanted to put in a floor drain you'd likely have to rip up some slab to expose that buried drain line.

I appreciate the information guys. It is the only exposed piping and I'm not particularly interested in hamming out the slab...

Though it would be nice to have an actual drain in case of major water leaks and dehumidifier run off.... it sounds like the easiest solution is simply to open it once a week for draining sealing it back up after.

Latest posts

Back