Adding Flange Spacer on Corroded Flange?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

europe72dead

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to plumbing and am in the process of renovating an old bathroom. I'm laying down new tile over my existing tile and have read my toilet flange needs to be roughly 1/8" above the new finished tile floor. In order to accomplish this I believe i'll have to buy 1 or 2 flange spacers to achieve my desired height.

Please see the attached photos. The current flange is in rough/ corroded shape although it is currently operable and secured to the floor well. I am able to slide the bolts out (with a lot of elbow grease) and put new bolts in if needed (which I plan on doing).

My plan is to use 100% silicone to adhere the spacers to the current flange before placing a wax ring down and dropping my toilet in place.

Does anyone see an issue with this? I am not really in a position to remove the existing flange...

Thanks a million.

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ideally you would want to raise the entire collar. If the sub floor is in good shape line up holes in spacers and screw into sub floor, silicone in between. Not ideal but will probably out last us.

Thanks - the sub floor is in good condition however it's concrete so I want to avoid drilling into it if possible. I assume screwing the spacer into the flange is to ensure it's on tight. Can I achieve this by first applying silicone to the existing flange, insert spacer and then apply a weight on top of it to create good downward pressure as the silicone cures?

Also, i plan to build up silicone a little more in spots in order to have a finished flange that is completely level with the ground. This seems fine to me as long as I build up the silicone little by little before applying the spacer.

Last edited:
That flange is in rough shape! Given it's in concrete, though, putting spacers on it will be your best option. Gotta screw it down, like Geofd mentions, though. Silicone won't be enough. It'd have too much opportunity for wiggle, and that's what leads to leaks.

Consider the size of your spacer, and (hopefully you can get them out) the old screws, and choose appropriate sized tap cons (just a guess, but probably 2" will do).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back