Adding booster pump for irrigation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truelight

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 acre of berries planted. My drip irrigation requires 23GPM (drip tube GPM/100' is .9 and I have 2550'). My well pumps about 10 GPM. I was considering installing a booster pump that pumps 30GPM but did not know if it was possible seeing how my well pump pumps less. What happens if you place a higher volume booster pump after a lesser volume well pump?

Thank you Thank you Thank you

It's possible that you would burn out the pump in the well, because it wouldn't be pumping against any head. I think you either need to install a bigger pump in the well or divide your irrigation system up into zones that the existing pump can supply.

Yeah you can't boost volume to 23 GPM when only being supplied 10 GPM. Even running with no pressure a 10 GPM pump can only put out about 17 GPM max. Split the zones in half or put in twice the size of well pump. The larger the well pump the more problem cycling on/off becomes. You can either put in a huge pressure tank or add a Cycle Stop Valve to make the large pump act like a small pump wen needed.

Back