Adding an access point in a long kitchen sink drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennyarcade

Reaction score
In the past, I have had grease trapped along a kitchen sink drain that was snaked out by a friend. I have an access to the drain before the p trap (which is in the floor... not ideal, but apparently code compliant in Ontario) through a clean out tee. I want to do it by myself the next time this happens and I read that snaking around the p trap is not ideal.

Due to the fact this sink is on an island, this drain takes a very scenic route on the way to the sewer line, which is one of the reasons I think grease likes to collect within the drain. I was wondering if it is ok for me to add a clean out tee in the basement about 2/3 along the route so I can gain access to snake beyond the p trap. If yes, are there any tips on choosing the right location for it?

Choose a location where it is ok where yuck and slop comes pouring out onto the floor.
I also often put a big oversized plastic storage bin on the floor under the cleanout, to catch as much yuck as possible while snaking through it.
A five gallon bucket is too small a target.

Choose a location where it is ok where yuck and slop comes pouring out onto the floor.
I also often put a big oversized plastic storage bin on the floor under the cleanout, to catch as much yuck as possible while snaking through it.
A five gallon bucket is too small a target.

Thanks for the suggestion! Would it be ok for the cleanout access to be on the top, so when I open it, it wouldn't go all on the floor? I'm thinking that I would snake from the cleanout to the main drain first, then from the cleanout to towards the sink. That way, gunk would be flushed away to the main drain line and not on the floor.

grease in a kitchen sink line is caused by some :pissed: pouring grease down the drain. stop pouring grease down the drain and your troubles will go away

That's what I thought the previous homeowner did (you should see the exhaust fan above the stove before I cleaned it!). We have been very diligent in pouring grease into a separate container and wiping as much oil off pans as possible. Still happening. Me thinks the drain line has too many bends and its pitch isn't ideal.

I put the cleanout opening facing up but not vertical, more like 45 degrees.
Tilted towards whichever way I will most likely be working from during snaking.

Grease naturally accumulates in a kitchen sink drain.

Food has grease in it. So naturally washing dishes in part is to get the grease off.

That grease of course goes down the drain.

Make the clean out high enough so that you can run a fish through it even when full of water,
Just put a piece of pipe between the y and the clean out.

Latest posts

Back