Adding a Kick Space Heater to Cast Iron Radiator Loop - Need Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pex al pex might be preferable for you. I'll take back my initial comment about that for say kind of in the eye of the beholder. But the are people who are weary of pex al pex becuse of delamination

I wasn’t aware of delamination. I know compression fittings are easy to work with so I would use them for Pex al Pex.

For regular Pex I’d prefer using shark bite or crimp fittings as I have a crimp tool. Are neither of these fitting methods preferable for hepex?

You can use a rope of pex b that has oxygen barrier. Pex a is hepex. I think what you'll want is commonly orange.

I’m sorry, I meant I have a clamp tool for clamp connections, not crimp. Shark bite or clamp fittings for regular Pex.

will likely stick with the Pex al Pex and use a compression fitting.

I’m beginning this project over the next week and will be going with hepex from the copper tubing that’s already in place on my original monoflow loop.

Question- im going to sweat a 1/2” copper to Propex adapter, can this be soldered or does it need to be brazed?

Great, is there any downside to soldering within a closed loop two pipe system? My temp max will be set to right below 180 since I’m using the hepex

becarefull
cast iron radiators need a supply temperature of 140 degrees f,
copper fin radiator need a supply temp of 180 -190 degrees f
what will happen is that area with the old cast iron rads will be very warm as the water temp rises.
however the area with the copper fin rads will not be producing any heat.
I have seen this very often , you can not substitute copper fin for cast iron.

I wasn’t planning on mixing the two. I was planning on using Runtal radiator to replace one of the old cast iron radiators. The other two will be replaced with beacon Morris kickspace heaters. One had already been converted previously and one will soon be converted.

No downside to soldering. It the only way it was done for years. It's the preferable way. You just want to flush the pipe and you only need a tiny amount of flux... Tiny. People use way too much flux. You should have to look close to see that you fluxed the surfaces.

Watching this thread as I’m considering Uponor HePEX for home runs to new Runtals. Both Runtal and Uponor has has a 200 degree rating. Is the concern with using HePEX degradation or is the concern movement?

Pex can be run at 180 for sustained use. There is no concern if you stay 180 or below.

I'm planning to run the Runtal's lower than 180, but will set the upper limit on the boiler at 180 for sure.

Thanks, good info on the flux too. The flux is dripping everywhere on my old pipes and I understand that excess can cause problems with the joint. The way it looks I may end up replacing most of those pipes.

Appreciate the tips on flux as well- I’ll be using a 1/2 sweat to propex adapter that’s brass. I too will have my aquastat- hydrostat set to around 175.

On another note- I cannot find baseboard bleeder elbows with propex fittings. I need one of these on each of my kickspace heaters.

I got creative and purchased these ball valves with bleeders instead of having to sweat baseboard elbows onto propex adapters. Any issue with this route? These full port ball valves are perfectly safe in closed loop heating systems correct?

Attachments

• B6AB5D86-E540-4865-8A9D-99183BE1D693.jpeg
    B6AB5D86-E540-4865-8A9D-99183BE1D693.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 574BE8ED-EDA1-4C66-BEF1-D958A018B5CA.jpeg
    574BE8ED-EDA1-4C66-BEF1-D958A018B5CA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 4BDB045A-B26E-4559-BEA3-63704F568ABF.jpeg
    4BDB045A-B26E-4559-BEA3-63704F568ABF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Let me know if something like this would be as good as a traditional elbow. I’d have the valve oriented as it sits in the photo with the bleeder facing up right before the Pex drops down into the basement. Any concern with the bleeder facing up as opposed to to the right?

I can always get the item you suggested and just sweat on a 3/4” copper to 1/2” propex

Attachments

• C1FC4C4C-FA0F-4D6A-A0E1-52E022858EDB.jpeg
    C1FC4C4C-FA0F-4D6A-A0E1-52E022858EDB.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
I don't think there's a concern. My hesitation would be the rubber gasket breaking down. Whearas the vent 90 can accommodate an actual bleeder vent.

If you look on that site they may have exactly what you seek. That was just a quick search of mine.

Back