Adding a gas line for my BBQ.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
OK I have a stub out of the back of my house for gas (I believe it is either black iron pipe or a galv nipple). What is the proper way to attach to it and run it to my BBQ that is probably 30 feet away. The worst part is that I have my concrete patio where it comes out, can I run a pipe along the wall for 10' or so then drop into the ground or am I stuck cutting out a section of concrete? I don't mind cutting and repouring the patio but would like to avoid having the trench line in there permanently.

Rolled copper with drop-forged (important that they are drop-forged, this means they are suitable for outdoor use) flare fittings is the easiest way.

In most municipalities if you do go below concrete you are required to "sleeve" the pipe.

If running along the house use black pipe. You CAN paint it. Rust-Oleum makes many colors. Two or three coats can make it look really nice. Pay special attention to the threads, they can be tough to get thoroughly.

Black pipe should not be used underground........ever.

Are you talking like Type K soft copper like we use for water services? I have not heard of using copper for gas. In my business we have run small gas mains that are Poly pipe but I am just not sure for a small thing like this.

I actually went out and looked and my stub out is about 4' from the edge of my concrete so i figure I would run it along the wall of the house then drop it underground the rest of the way.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

1/2" O.D. Rolled K copper should be plenty for your BBQ. The poly stuff is great, but the fittings are super expensive.....like $75+ each. So for a short distance copper is the way to go.

CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) is another option but it can also be expensive for the underground rated stuff. Some brands require sleeving even of it is not under concrete.

Copper is usually accepted on the outside of the house, but must switch to hard piping once inside. I have always used black pipe for gas (galvanized can flake off and block orfices). When using it underground, the joints are required to be welded for gas usage.

Copper is usually accepted on the outside of the house, but must switch to hard piping once inside. I have always used black pipe for gas (galvanized can flake off and block orfices). When using it underground, the joints are required to be welded for gas usage.

If I need to put a bend in could I just sweat a fitting on like I would for water? Of course before I hooked it up.:eek:

This is what I just installed in my front yard,from my water meter to the house. We were able to bend it (somewhat) but that stuff is very expensive. I would be afraid of kinking the rolled copper, and having to add a union. I myself would encase galvanized pipe, at a fraction of the cost.

I am pretty sure I can get the soft copper to flex to where I want it, I was just wondering. Havasu is talking about Galv pipe sleeved or encased. what do you think of that? I like saving money.

Chris...A 50' length of 3/4" rolled copper ran me $196, and because the ends were still real soft, I had to borrow a flare tool to connect the ends. At most big boxes, they have the green plastic (?) coated gas pipe, in 10' or 20' lengths, which is used for underground applications. I'm not too certain what it costs, but it has to be cheaper than that rolled copper.

In my backyard, I was fortunate. When I was adding the pool, I slipped the contractor $50 and he added a gas line for my BBQ, and just tee'ed off his main gas run with the yellow plastic pipe, because he had the cutter and melting seam tool with him.

I have delt with copper alot (I am a pipeline contractor and do all the big stuff) and I have flare tools 3/4" and up but like you said it is 200 bucks for that 50' roll and that is cheap, I think copper has gone up lately anyway so I will definitly look into that coated pipe. Thanks.

I'd check with you local Bldg Dept on the use of copper for gas. Here in San Diego area copper is never used.
You cannot use black iron pipe outside. Inspector nailed me for an existing exterior exposed black iron nipple on a job. You need to run Galvinized exposed on the wall.
The best pipe to use under ground is Polyethelene. You'll have to get 2 transition risers and bury it with 18" of cover. The Poly pipe has to be fused with special tools but once in should last almost forever.
Epoxy Coated steel pipe is another option but you have to wrap all the joints. If not wrapped properly the steel can rot out.
Used to be able to use CPVC (yellow) but they outlawed it because the fittings were not CPVC.
You sholud also have a valve at or near point of connection to the house so you can isolate it if you have a problem. Unions are not allowed except near the connection to an appliance. The correct way to connect the ground line is with a left/right nipple & coupling.
I can go on & on.

I'm not sure about the copper but I think there is something that is added to natural gas that reacts with the copper. I'll check into it. That would be an easy way to go though.
Propane is a different story.
I see a lot of applications where copper tubing is used with propane

Kilroy, What you wrote is exactly why I wanted to be involved with this forum. I've learned alot and really appreciate it, and it's not even my thread!

I'd check with you local Bldg Dept on the use of copper for gas. Here in San Diego area copper is never used.
You cannot use black iron pipe outside. Inspector nailed me for an existing exterior exposed black iron nipple on a job. You need to run Galvinized exposed on the wall.
The best pipe to use under ground is Polyethelene. You'll have to get 2 transition risers and bury it with 18" of cover. The Poly pipe has to be fused with special tools but once in should last almost forever.
Epoxy Coated steel pipe is another option but you have to wrap all the joints. If not wrapped properly the steel can rot out.
Used to be able to use CPVC (yellow) but they outlawed it because the fittings were not CPVC.
You sholud also have a valve at or near point of connection to the house so you can isolate it if you have a problem. Unions are not allowed except near the connection to an appliance. The correct way to connect the ground line is with a left/right nipple & coupling.
I can go on & on.

I'm not sure about the copper but I think there is something that is added to natural gas that reacts with the copper. I'll check into it. That would be an easy way to go though.
Propane is a different story.
I see a lot of applications where copper tubing is used with propane

I know what you are talking about with the Poly pipe I am even certified for butt fusion, I am just looking for an inexpensive easy route for this small project but it may be poly. I was hoping for something I can grab from lowes and toss together on a saturday morning that and even though I am certified I am not all that confident in fusion since I have only done it a handful of times.

I'm not sure about the copper but I think there is something that is added to natural gas that reacts with the copper. I'll check into it.

No problems there. Here in Michigan it's common practice to run natural gas in copper. It's quite convenient when connecting a dryer or BBQ. :D

Latest posts

Back