Adding 5,000 gallon storage tank to my dug well system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MendoPete

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new member with a few questions.
I have a 20' dug well with a 42" casing. The severe drought has caused the level to drop to it's current level of 52" deep. My system is pump and pressure tank only, located next to the well. This feeds my home
I recently purchased a 5,000 gallon poly storage tank. It is 13' tall. I set it up on a pea gravel pad 60' from and 2' elevation above the pump house. I have added a 2" PVC valve with a short flex line and union. I was able to fill the tank using a garden hose, pumping for 30 minutes at a time, gaining approx. 200 gallons. The well recovered enough to do that twice daily.
Currently I am the digging ditch and not sure what to put in it. I plan a 1" PVC feed from the current well pump. I will add another pressure pump in the pumphouse and steal the pressure tank from the well pump.
Should the pipe feeding this new pump be 1.25" from the 2" tank outlet line to the 1" pump inlet? Larger, or just 1" is fine for this gravity feed? Also I could use some ideas for a fire standpipe or fill valve near the tank in case fire engines need a fill or water delivery is needed. Maybe a small manifold with a GH bib to drain?

Another question I have is what should go in the ditch for an electric float switch? Is there direct burial wire I should use(!00" total), or should I use flexible conduit? I no nothing about them. My current well does not have one.
Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions

Last edited:
You can use a float switch in the storage tank to control the well pump. Or, you can use a solenoid valve operated by the float switch, and be able to draw water from either the storage tank or the well pump as before. This will give you a back up pump, as those are handy since pumps always quit at the worst possible time.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpgLOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A.jpg

Thanks for your reply Valveman. I like the idea of having my pumps either/or. I lost my only pump last yearat a bad time. In the example you show 2 pressure tanks. I was only planning one. Is the pressure tank necessary between the well pump and storage tank?

If you want to be able to get water directly from the well and/or the storage tank then yes, you need two pressure tanks. However, with a Cycle Stop Valve you only need a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank on both or either system.

Latest posts

Back