Add Utility Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwinterstine

Reaction score
Can I add a Y to the washer stack for a utility sink drain? Here is a pic of the laundry room drain plumbing and I want to ad a utility sink to the left of the washer stack.

Attachments

• 1652739577855_0_20220403_091055.jpg
    1652739577855_0_20220403_091055.jpg
    952.1 KB · Views: 14
You mean like this?
1652795515290.png

You don't indicate where you are, but in Ontario Canada, this is apparently legal. I wanted to do this very thing, but I couldn't find in the various codes in the US where this is allowed. And like you, I would think a wye instead of a sanitee would be more appropriate for the connection to the washer standpipe. I've also seen some references that limit the tub drain line to 30 inches, which seems a little strange as there is no P-trap in that line to keep filled. Logic would also say that the tub drain line could be at a slope more than 1/4 inch/foot as there is not P-trap to worry about siphoning dry, and perhaps should be at a steeper slope for better drainage and to reduce washing machine backup into that line during the washing machine pump out cycle.

Maybe some other member can answer this question with specific references, as I would be most interested.

Since it’s new construction and I assume it’s being inspected, I’d consult the inspector or your plumber.

You mean like this?
View attachment 35180

You don't indicate where you are, but in Ontario Canada, this is apparently legal. I wanted to do this very thing, but I couldn't find in the various codes in the US where this is allowed. And like you, I would think a wye instead of a sanitee would be more appropriate for the connection to the washer standpipe. I've also seen some references that limit the tub drain line to 30 inches, which seems a little strange as there is no P-trap in that line to keep filled. Logic would also say that the tub drain line could be at a slope more than 1/4 inch/foot as there is not P-trap to worry about siphoning dry, and perhaps should be at a steeper slope for better drainage and to reduce washing machine backup into that line during the washing machine pump out cycle.

Maybe some other member can answer this question with specific references, as I would be most interested.
Yes, exactly like this. When I took the picture it was during my pre-drywall inspection. The wall is finished now so I will need to cut into the sheetrock. I really do not care about any inspections as it will be my home for a long time. I just want to make sure it will drain correctly.

In my area montreal, If anyone other that the original plumber touches the plumbing during the build or guarantee period , then the guarantee is null and void. That stopped a lot people from screwing around with new construction. The way the diagram is showing would be accepted in Canada.

I am in NJ and have noticed that the plumbing change would be ok in Canada. Which answers my question...it will work.

The warranty is a different question but you are correct. It would be my risk.

I wouldn’t use the 45’s.

Just a 2x2x1.5” tee and 2- shielded rubber couplings. I might could get it in there with just one shielded coupling, probably could.

Be careful and don’t drill the electrical.

Good luck 👍

Today's washers discharge at a fairly high rate. With those fittings close to the top of the standpipe, you may experience splashing from the standpipe during the pump out cycle. I think your top fittings are 45s, which they MUST be if you go this route.

However, as your drywall is up and you will need to cut a pretty large hole to access and install this setup anyway, you might consider cutting a nice rectangular piece out and move the washing machine outlet box to the right far enough to eliminate the offset in the standpipe. I would think that would actually be an easier job and would result in a MUCH superior installation.

If you cut to the right of the right stud about 2 1/2 inches and in the middle of the first stud to the left of you sink, you'll have great access and an easy drywall patch job. Just take a piece of 2x4 and slip through the 2 1/2 gap to the right of the right stud and screw through the stud attaching the 2x4 to that stud flat and even with the inside of the drywall. That will give you good support for that vertical drywall joint. I'm assuming the ears on the washing machine outlet box can be flipped so you should be able to position it such that a wye or a sanitee will fit between the standpipe and the left stud so that you don't have a standpipe offset. As I said before, I would think a wye would be better than a sanitee, but both will obviously work. I'm assuming you used a sanitee because with the position of the standpipe in your layout, a wye would not fit. I'm not a fan of PEX piping, but with its use here, you won't have any water piping to change should you take this approach.

Latest posts

Back