ADA Toilet in ADA Shower?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishScreener

Reaction score
I’m trying to design a small retirement home for my sister. She is 77 and using a walker. Her husband who is 69, has cancer, and has been given 2 to 24-months to live, and she is getting to the point where she needs help. So, i want to design an ADA bathroom while keeping the footprint small..

Is there any reason I couldn't design a 6X8 roll in shower, with an ADA compliant toilet, and grab bars on the back wall to function as the seat?

And as an added bounus, it would let me keep all of the plumbing in one wall

Thanks, Jigs.

With space and $, anything is possible. A curbless shower is a smart idea, but I would go one step further. I would make the entire bathroom a wet room.

You’d need to seal the pan liner to the pipe that penetrates it for the toilet or have enough slope that it doesn’t matter around the toilet unless the shower drain backs up and floods the pan.

I suppose there are other options besides a pan liner. Kerdi type may be a better choice.

I’m thinking of a wall mount toilet, or at least a rear outlet to avoid it being in the wet area, as opposed to being in a damp area.

And I plan to install tile trough out the bathroom, and make the shower a wet zone and the area outside of the shower a “damp” area.

Last edited:
I don't know what building and plumbing codes say about it, but when I lived in Singapore we had a bathroom that was a wet room and the shower was directly next to the toilet and only thing keeping water off the toilet was a curtain. It was a very small shower so the water from the shower could land on/in both the toilet and sink if the curtain wasn't drawn. I think I've seen toilet shower combos before but am not certain.
So, it sounds like you're describing something like this but with grab bars and controls where your sister can reach them.
1664244756390.png
I know Moen makes a couple showerheads with built-in slidebars to reduce the number of valves and wall penetrations needed. The Refresh and Renewal are models that can come with slidebars. I believe we got the Refresh but need to check. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Renewal-Spot-Resist-Brushed-Nickel-5-Spray-Dual-Shower-Head/1000457561
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Refresh-Chrome-1-Spray-Dual-Shower-Head-2-5-GPM-9-5-LPM/5000023805
I believe Delta has one as well but its very expensive. Over $600 for the chrome version (with controls included): Delta DSS-Emerge-18R-1705 Chrome Linden Pressure Balanced Shower System with Shower Head, Hand Shower, Slide Bar, Hose, and Valve Trim - FaucetDirect.com

KES and other off brands have those as well.

I think a floor mount toilet that drains to the back and can be sealed the floor might be safer in case a wall mount one starts to fall off. My only concern would be about where to store the toilet paper where it wouldn't get wet-- but your sister could get a bidet seat and have shea butter wet wipes (that would get thrown in the trash rather than flushed). They are good for wiping and are antifungal. There would need to be some place to have dry towels that don't get wet. Never heard of this brand before but HD has it Niagara Stealth 2-Piece 0.95 GPF Rear-Outlet Single Flush Elongated Toilet with Stealth Technology in White, Seat Not Included N7799 - The Home Depot . There are probably better options out there and HD has suggestions on that page.

Back