Acid Neutralizer Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elamcup

Reaction score
I had a problem finding calcite to refill my PH vessel. A local plumbing supply had fine crushed calcite so I used it. I filled the vessel to the normal level and everything worked fine for the first 5 days. Last night the vessel went through the automatic backwash cycle. Today the water flow from our faucets was much lower than normal. I bypassed the PH vessel and the faucet flow returned to normal so I know there is a problem with the vessel. I manually back flushed the vessel and flow from the faucet is normal at first, than it decreases. I pulled the head off of the vessel and the valve is clear of blockage.

I am going to try to remove some of the media from the vessel and hopefully that will decrease the resistance to the flow.

I am considering reversing the water flow through the vessel to raise the bed and unplugging the timer so it won't backwash. There is a water softener down stream of the PH vessel. Will the calcite fines harm the softener bed? I imagine whatever fines make it to the softener will just dissolve over time or possible get backwashed out.

Are there different grades of crushed calcite? Which grade should I use and where can I buy it?

Thanks,
Tom

I know nothing about water softeners but there are experts who should provide you an answer soon.

Since I don't have much use for PH filters in our area, I'm not an expert on them. I do know that there are the reverse flow and/or the backwashed variety. I tend to think that the reverse flow will work best, as the backwash can only take place a maximum of once a day. Where the up flow is happening all the time your using water.

I have heard of calcite packing and slowing the flow which is another reason I like the upflow. I have sold a few of them over the internet and had no complaints.

I am not aware of different grades of calcite, but there are other products that do the same thing. I'll do a little research and if I have any luck, I'll come back and share them.

Does not matter as its will wash through the softener!
Just keep you eye out on your bed levels.
BTW: its disolves pretty quickly and no chance of any damage

I had a problem finding calcite to refill my PH vessel. A local plumbing supply had fine crushed calcite so I used it. I filled the vessel to the normal level and everything worked fine for the first 5 days. Last night the vessel went through the automatic backwash cycle. Today the water flow from our faucets was much lower than normal. I bypassed the PH vessel and the faucet flow returned to normal so I know there is a problem with the vessel. I manually back flushed the vessel and flow from the faucet is normal at first, than it decreases. I pulled the head off of the vessel and the valve is clear of blockage.

I am going to try to remove some of the media from the vessel and hopefully that will decrease the resistance to the flow.

I am considering reversing the water flow through the vessel to raise the bed and unplugging the timer so it won't backwash. There is a water softener down stream of the PH vessel. Will the calcite fines harm the softener bed? I imagine whatever fines make it to the softener will just dissolve over time or possible get backwashed out.

Are there different grades of crushed calcite? Which grade should I use and where can I buy it?

Thanks,
Tom
Elamcup DON"T REVERSE THE FLOW !!! You didn't say what brand of Neut you had, but it is very common when homeowners "service their own neut" there is not a complete service done. Usually it is just draining off some water and putting media in to top it off.
Did you have any neut media in your drain from the neut unit? Also the neut media can do damage to your softner head, plugging injector, damaging piston due to the sand / grit of the neut it gets between the piston and seals or rings and damages them. Best to call a service tech to come out. WHat I suspect is that over time you have kept adding and if you syphoned any out you syphoned from the top and not the bottom. At the bottom where your pick up screen is you'll probably find the consistancy of oatmeal. THis cloggs the screen and cuts your water flow and pressure, then when you back wash it you temp blow away the media then when it settles back your loosing pressure / volume again. I don't know where you are but we are in Frederick, Maryland if you would like help

Latest posts

Back