Accessing Cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for being here! I have a leaky hot water faucet, and am trying to get access to the cartridge. Two questions.

• Do you know what brand/faucet this is, in case I need to look for parts?
  • I have tried loosening the nut by the stem, but it did not budge. I did read a couple of similar questions here, and I am thinking that is the right way to access the cartridge. It would be great to confirm before I really put my weight on it to try to get it loose.
Pictures below, and thank you very much!

Faucet - Top.jpgFaucet - bottem.jpgFaucet - stem cartridge.jpg

A clamp-on vise seems like the easiest solution. Something like this Yost Clamp On Vise?

It is that or mounting one to a board, then clampping the board onto my workbench with some c-clamps. I'm confident this would be studier, but also gives me another project to get to before I can fix my faucets! (Also takes up more space when not in use.)

Am I asking for trouble if I just get a clamp-on vise?

Take two pieces of 1/2” plywood and place the valve between the two pieces hanging out one end enough for you to get a wrench on the stem. Screw the boards together making a valve plywood sandwich.

Make the boards large enough so you can kneel on the assembly to keep it from moving around.

Now use a wrench to unscrew the stem from the valve.

Say hello to everyone for me……I miss y’all !!!!! I’m like family 🤣

@Twowaxhack - Great idea. If only I had some boards and long screws laying around! 😂 Funnily enough, I did find that little clamp vise I thought I had. And, it worked!

Now...I've got the cartridge out. Next step is to replace the ring/washer at the top and the blue one on the bottom, I believe. But, I'm not sure what to call that blue washer (it has a metal ring/clip on the inside) to know what to search for.

Is there a name for that blue washer on the bottom? Any thoughts on which type of cartridge this is to help in the search?

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• stem - bottom side.jpg
    stem - bottom side.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • stem - bottom.jpg
    stem - bottom.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • stem - side.jpg
    stem - side.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
Ok, so last weekend was spent searching the web trying to find the cartridge and dropped by my local plumbing supply store yesterday.

Thought it might be the Altmans, but would need to cut down the spline to fit. Tried it at the store, but the threads on the shank did not work with the fixture and the spline was too wide, so my handle would not fit.

I little more google-fu today, and I think I found it. Here: Import - Hot Cold Stem---412775 Choices

However, no returns! yikes.

Is "Choices" a brand name? Is there a way to find a more universal part name/number to search for?

Do you think this is it?

Attachments

• Faucet - stem side ruler lg.jpg
    Faucet - stem side ruler lg.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Faucet - stem side ruler.jpg
    Faucet - stem side ruler.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Faucet - stem top ruler.jpg
    Faucet - stem top ruler.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Stem - RD Supply.jpg
    Stem - RD Supply.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
Your valve in your photos does not have that little U-clip that the weblink has.
Newport Brass is one of many lav cartridges with that U-clip.
Danco and Brasscraft have stem catalogues if nobody responds with the exact pic.

Your valve in your photos does not have that little U-clip that the weblink has.
Newport Brass is one of many lav cartridges with that U-clip.
Danco and Brasscraft have stem catalogues if nobody responds with the exact pic.
Good eye! My valve did have a u-clip. It did not make it into the pictures.

Back