ABS or Cast Iron

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navakahn

Reaction score
I couldn't find the answer to my problem here or anywhere online, so here goes:

I have a guesthouse above my garage. Galvanized drain lines underneath under the ceiling of the garage need to be replaced. I thought I read somewhere that ABS is not allowed unless in the floor joists (and covered by fire retardant drywall. So, three questions:

1. Does this mean I have to use Cast Iron?
2. If I do, I assume I can use no-hub and Fernco couplings?
3. If so, can I also use the Fernco Ys and elbows if need be?

I'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks,
jason

California., make sure to contact your local license and inspection., but normally you CAN use ABS, as long as it's not exposed., what's wrong with PVC?
Just go with PVC, fernco works. I personally prefer to use the heavy duty husky bands which has 4 clamps to transition., plumbing supply store will have it.

PVC solid core is what I would use... solid core quieter... normally that's what homedepot stocks., it has red letters on the pvc

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately, it is exposed.

I guess that means that I'll have to go with cast iron?

I suppose that also rules out the Fernco / Husky elbows -- was thinking they might give me a little more wiggle room if my angles are perfect.

Anyway, thanks for tip on Husky brand over Fernco.

California., make sure to contact your local license and inspection., but normally you CAN use ABS, as long as it's not exposed., what's wrong with PVC?
Just go with PVC, fernco works. I personally prefer to use the heavy duty husky bands which has 4 clamps to transition., plumbing supply store will have it.

PVC solid core is what I would use... solid core quieter... normally that's what homedepot stocks., it has red letters on the pvc

I suppose that also rules out the Fernco / Husky elbows -- was thinking they might give me a little more wiggle room if my angles are perfect.

Is PVC NOT AVAILABLE?

You can just buy pipe insulation for your abs from a plumbing supply store so that it's not exposed.

Didn't realize that pipe insulation was an option. So for ABS or PVC, if I can simply wrap the plastic rather than use cast iron, it seems easier and less costly. THANKS!

Recommend any insulation in particular?

You can just buy pipe insulation for your abs from a plumbing supply store so that it's not exposed.

Didn't realize that pipe insulation was an option. So for ABS or PVC, if I can simply wrap the plastic rather than use cast iron, it seems easier and less costly. THANKS!

Recommend any insulation in particular?
Go to a plumbing supply company, they'll steer you in the right direction., shouldn't need anything thicker than ½ insulation

I didn't even know Cast Iron was still an option!?!? Guessing packing with okum and lead isn't an option any more :rolleyes: ??

Cast iron isn’t an option for me. Except for closet flanges. 😐

I’d hafta retire if they banned pex and pvc. I’m too old to work hard

Finally spoke to someone in the LABD residential code office. He said, "Sure, plastic is no problem for two stories or less."

I asked if there was any rating I needed for the insulation. "No need for insulation, it's a drain line."

I asked why if the fire barrier didn't apply to pipes. "Oh, never thought of that. You probably need cast iron, then."

Obviously, I ask too many questions! But I followed up by asking if fire retardant insulation would be okay instead of cast iron since I'd heard that's often possible elsewhere. He told me he'd do some poking around and get back to me.

Fingers crossed. Like Twowaxhack, I'm too old to be dealing with the cast iron...

Got back to me. Said should be covered with drywall, but if it's not, I have to replace like with like. Of course, to replace with drywall is more of a drag than cast iron, since it's hanging under ceiling. Guess I'll have to get in a workout!

Thanks, everyone

WOW! I'm having a hard time believing that every rehab in LA County is forced to (re)use cast iron!?!? I need to go back and watch all of the Flip or Flop episodes to see what they use... 😂 🤣

Just thinking too, what your describing would be covered either by the NFPA or the IBC not the IPC/UPC...

Finally spoke to someone in the LABD residential code office. He said, "Sure, plastic is no problem for two stories or less."

I asked if there was any rating I needed for the insulation. "No need for insulation, it's a drain line."

I asked why if the fire barrier didn't apply to pipes. "Oh, never thought of that. You probably need cast iron, then."

Obviously, I ask too many questions! But I followed up by asking if fire retardant insulation would be okay instead of cast iron since I'd heard that's often possible elsewhere. He told me he'd do some poking around and get back to me.

Fingers crossed. Like Twowaxhack, I'm too old to be dealing with the cast iron...
Should've quit after you got the green light for plastic.,

Never ask more questions than needed lol..
Cost money to be curious
🤣🤣🤣

Don't forget that "local" codes supersede any other code, so I would find out what is acceptable in your location and what is not. I remember years ago when the San Francisco City code only accepted cast iron waste pipes, but towns and villages south of the City allowed the use of ABS without problems.

Thanks, all.

I gather that LA still requires the garage space to have a fire barrier that can withstand 1 hour of fire. Would think the insulation might suffice, but he didn't seem to think so.

It's a small enough job, so doing it "right" myself seems like a better option than being non-compliant -- he seemed to suggest I didn't need to pull permits if I was simply going to replace some old pipe with new (like for like).

I considered framing and drywalling around the piping, which might be easier and more cost effective given the price of cast iron right now. But that's also not optimal due to the location of the pipes.

And, yes, Mr.Info...got to learn to keep my big mouth shut...

Thanks, all.

I gather that LA still requires the garage space to have a fire barrier that can withstand 1 hour of fire. Would think the insulation might suffice, but he didn't seem to think so.

It's a small enough job, so doing it "right" myself seems like a better option than being non-compliant -- he seemed to suggest I didn't need to pull permits if I was simply going to replace some old pipe with new (like for like).

I considered framing and drywalling around the piping, which might be easier and more cost effective given the price of cast iron right now. But that's also not optimal due to the location of the pipes.

And, yes, Mr.Info...got to learn to keep my big mouth shut...

Normally when you are just doing a plug and play swap, repairing and replacing with same or like materials, no permit needed.

Back