Above Ground Water Supply Line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfk5331

Reaction score
I am in the process of having a modular home set up and have a question about the plumbing work. Instead of running the water line from the well around the house, the plumber ran it to the front of the house, then above ground underneath the house. I'm far from a plumber, but this just strikes me as the plumber being lazy and not doing the job properly. Am I wrong or is this something that I need to argue until it's done properly? It appears that they used PEX piping above ground, I'm assuming it would be PVC underground but not sure. I am in Central/SE Texas, so it's not unheard of to get some temperatures in the teens every once in a while. The response from the plumber was that it should be fine because it shouldn't get cold enough to be a problem. 100+ degree temperatures is pretty normal. Being surrounded by pastures and hay fields, rodents are also a concern of mine.

I have attached a couple pictures of the work. Can I get some insight from the experts about this? Is this a fight that needs to be fought, or am I wrong and it will be fine?

Attachments

• water line.jpg
    water line.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
  • above ground water line.jpg
    above ground water line.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 22
The plastic should’ve been peeled back and a shallow trench dug and the pipe buried.

The plumber probably took the shortest path and that’s ok.

Could’ve insulated it and hung it up but that would cost more. I would’ve buried it.

Not being an expert, I would think the best route would have been to run it around the back of the house. In the photo of the side of the house, the flag out in the open is where the line comes in from the well. The connection to the house for the water line is directly around the back corner. Is there a direct risk of problems with the way it was run, or is it more lazy/unprofessional work?

The electrician also did the same with the main power line. The conduit was run underground to the house, then above ground under the house.

Attachments

• electrical line.jpg
    electrical line.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 5
I would’ve buried the pipe in the most direct path to the connection point.

I wouldn’t have went the long way around the house. More pipe = not as good IMO.

The electrical isn’t my thing, I’m strictly plumbing.

That appears to be a "manufactured" not modular home which is subject to slightly different codes from one another. I believe an inspector would call out both because they are not secured. I have always burried the electric line until it needs to go vertical in conduit directly to panel. Water line I usually have it just inside the perimeter and then come straight up and secure to floor joist or frame every 4 feet.

It is a modular home upgrade from a manufactured home. Same layout/floorplan, just built to the higher codes.

I was told that there are no plans to trench or bury the line. They told me that I could insulate the line if I feel that it's needed.

What specific problems would ya'll say are likely the way it was done? My plan is to tell them I will not be signing that the work is satisfactory unless it is done right, I just want to have specifics from people who know more than me about this stuff.

If the home is not skirted around the perimeter it will be exposed to sunlight and it will fail.

Laying on top of the ground it will freeze. Pex is freeze damage resistant but it can shorten its life.

Again.......I’d dig a 4-6” deep trench and bury it. This will provide freeze and UV light protection. It would take less than an hour and any able bodied person can do it, doesn’t need to be a plumber.

I wouldn’t do anything with the electrical.

Latest posts

Back