Abandoned Septic Tanks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
When a tank is decommissioned and a house set up on city water is the septic tank typically removed?

I setup a playscape for my daughter and had to anchor around the old septic tank. I'm just wondering if it presents any issues and if so, should I have it removed?

Couldn't agree more with John. Filled with dirt, gravel, sand...anything. Too many of them around here have been abandoned and eventually collapsed causing property damage and dangerous sink holes.

In CA we have to break the lid and fill with sand or base only.

I had thought that legally if the old tank was being decommissioned that the Dept of Health or whatever agency is in charge of such matters, would insist that the old one be completely drained and backfilled.

And when I say completely drained, I mean even the solid matter. The guy from the local Board of Health explained to me that if the solid waste was not removed, over time it would work its way up to the surface.

Yes I forgot to mention that is does need to be pumped before hand. Can't just toss sand on top of poo.

I think it is drained. I makes a hollow thud when we cross it.

Is this a danger? Should I worry about my 5 year old jumping on it?

Should be very strong if concrete but it should also be filled if not it use. I wouldn't worry much about it collapsing but be careful if there is access to the lids.

Hmm.. It may sound hollow and maybe there is no water, but you don't know if there is solid waste inside.

Best to check first and then have it filled in.

An alternative is to have it completely removed, crunched up, and hauled off. The septic tank installer I have said he is going to do that with my tank because it is right in the way of where he wants to put the new tank.

Thanks for the advice guys! On to finding a local to do it!

I'm a renter, I have to get permission to do that. What I can do it have it done myself and give them the bill. At least that's the deal I have worked out with them. I fix stuff all the time then call them let them know.

Even easier is uncover the lid and call your local concrete company and slurry fill it. Then no equipment and the only disruption on the ground is where you found the lid.

I'll talk to my maintenance guy. Like I said he lets me fix my own stuff but I'm sure he will want a say in this.

Back