A question for you plumbing detectives

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj727

Reaction score
Non-professional (and first-time poster) looking for experienced opinions on a recent plumbing failure. The attached jpg file shows a picture of a failed water supply line for a bathroom faucet. I’m trying to determine if the failure was due to age, poor material, or some outside influence like mice, etc.

The failed supply line came as part of a vessel sink faucet that was installed about 10 years ago. Not sure of manufacturer but it was purchased on belacor.com and might have been Danze. No problems with the faucet or supply lines until just recently, when the line suddenly burst open and started spraying water. Fortunately I was 8 ft away and able to shut it off fairly quickly.

After cleanup I started taking the faucet off because I couldn’t get the supply lines off with the faucet installed. As I did that, the other (hot) supply line then burst open as well! Both lines showed the same unraveled steel mesh around the blowout site. Seems highly coincidental that they both failed within minutes of each other. The sections that failed may have been slightly kinked. Also, the bathroom where this occurred is right next to my garage, where I’ve found mice before. However there are no signs of mouse droppings under the vanity and I don’t see any entry points. For what it’s worth, right before the blowout happened my dishwasher had switched off its rinse cycle, so there was probably a temporary surge in water pressure.

Any thoughts on what happened here? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, while I’m waiting for responses I’ll be washing the 37 towels I used to clean up the mess.

Plumbing failure.jpg

What amount of pressure do you have coming in to your house? Im betting you need a pressure reducing valve.

Had the same thing happen under my kitchen sink. The cold supply was probably about 25 years old, the hot 10. Fortunately, I was home when the cold blew so it only ran for a minute or so until I shut off the water. Still a huge mess. No discernible cause, it just blew out. Replaced both lines with Brasscraft from HD.

The rubber hose can deteriorate and when they start leaking they rupture and the webbing does not stand in its way. The leaking hose inside has no mercy.

Back