a.o. Smith Hot Water Heater Top Leaks

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Charleye

Reaction score
I have a 40 gal a. o. smith gas hot water heater. It is 8 years old. It is leaking where the nipple enters the hot orifice of the heater. I see no corrision or rust there. I asked a plumber at an ACE hardware store if I could get some type of sealant to try to stop the leak and he said I could try some plumbers goop or I may have to replace the nipple. I read the label on the goop and it says do not use where food will come into contact, or something like that, so I think I will try to replace the nipple instead. Could someone please tell me how to replace it. Does it unscrew in a counter clockwise direction ? It seems very tight to move in either direction and I don't want to snap it off by turning it in the wrong direction. Also is there something else that I should do other than just removing the old and replacing it with a new? I truly appreciate any help I can get. Thanks, Charleye.
p. s. Nipple size?

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Simple fix, just remember righty/tighty, lefty loosy. Pick up two water heater dielectric 5" long nipples, wrap white teflon tape 2-3 times around both ends, and tighten down with a pipe wrench. While you are at it, give the tank a sediment flush, vacuum any debris and dust around the water heater, and clean dirt off the exterior. Also, for energy savings, purchase a water heater insulation blanket and wrap it up tight. You will have conducted a water heater tune up, which will be safe, last longer, and save you money.

Charleye

Reaction score
Havasu
Thank you very much sir for making my repair job simple and clear. Also thanks for the other knowledge and the quick response. Have a great day sir!
Charleye